Refine Search Clear All
Software Systems Manager
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 08/23/2022
Job Code: SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values
and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives.
This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for the Software Systems Manager at the National Ignition Facility (NIF). You will have the unique opportunity to lead a team of software engineers responsible for the tools used to handle, process and store data from the largest scientific system ever built, work with hundreds of top physicists in the US and abroad and support some of the world’s most unique scientific challenges. This position is in the NIF Computing (NIFC) Division in the Computation Directorate, matrixed to the NIF Shot Data Systems section.
Business needs dictate that this position requires an on-site presence multiple days a week. Therefore, telecommuting options will be limited.
In this role you will
- Provide strategic vision for the user software tools needed to navigate the NIF experiment lifecycle and guide the development priorities of the NIF Data Systems based on programmatic stakeholders needs as well as relevant trends in software development methodologies and capabilities.
- Responsible and accountable for budget planning, management and oversight, high-level goal setting, and strategic and succession planning efforts on long range goals, in collaboration with NIF&PS management.
- Communicate status and operational updates through routine interactions with the NIF senior management team, NIF User Office, Operations staff, and the NIF user community including scientists and subject matter experts, regarding current and planned tools and capabilities.
- Provide leadership, supervision, mentoring and technical guidance to section members in the safe and secure execution of their work scope.
- Lead the definition, creation, and simplification of NIF experiment lifecycle workflows and processes, including the integration of data elements that support them.
- Actively encourage and oversee excellent engineering practices and standards among section members, with emphasis on maintainable software system design and efficient development lifecycles.
- Provide off hours support including weekends and troubleshooting assistance to the NIF user community and the NIF IT team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration with a concentration in Computer Information Systems or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Subject matter expert level knowledge and extensive experience of the tools that support facility operations such as the data visualization tools, workflow processes, or facility configuration management tools for part and calibration tracking.
- Experience managing and leading a medium sized (greater than 5 developers) group or team of software developers including responsibility for budget or procurements and schedule adherence.
- Expert analytical skills necessary to analyze complex situations, requirements, processes and dataflows to define solutions and drive them through to implementation and acceptance testing.
- Extensive experience with software development lifecycles, operations problem tracking, work authorization processes and configuration management.
- Extensive experience leading a diverse development team including mentoring and coaching, dealing with interpersonal relationships and providing both positive and negative feedback.
- Substantial experience providing effective customer support in a diverse user community with widely varying levels of computer literacy.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise varied internal and external audiences including senior management and sponsors.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.