Refine Search Clear All
Game and Simulation Developer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 08/23/2022
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Game and Simulation Developer to work on multi-disciplinary teams in an environment that encourages the support of the academic research community while focusing on problems of interest to LLNL and Department of Energy (DOE) programs. You will contribute to data visualization and simulations to inform and visualize public and emergency response strategies in support of national security missions. This position is in the Global Security Computing Applications Division (GS-CAD) within the Computing Directorate, matrixed to Global Security’s N Program.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop and maintain agent-based interactive simulations for training and visualization.
- Model and animate 3D assets, code interactive logic, and interactive applications for desktop, web, and mobile deployment.
- Develop and maintain interactive training tools using electronic components (Arduino, Raspberry PI), mobile devices (phones, tablets) and the latest immersive hardware (virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR) HMDs) for enhanced training applications.
- Respond rapidly to operational requirements by collaborating with a small, multi-disciplinary team while using independent judgement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Write whitepapers, proposals, reports, and training material for current and new capabilities, as well as document and track all project changes.
- Research new technologies and methods for data visualization, image processing, and interactive mediums.
- Develop 3D models and/or props for 3D printing.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience, with an emphasis on computer animation, visual effects, game development or other forms of visual communication.
- Fundamental knowledge of and experience with the Unity Real-Time Development Platform and C# development, for use in an interactive simulation framework.
- Experience with 3D production tools used to model, animate, and render animations.
- Fundamental knowledge of scientific data visualization.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team environment, as well as the ability to work effectively with minimal limited guidance.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Experience writing whitepapers, proposals, reports, and/or training material and completing and documenting moderately complex to complex technical projects, as well as broad experience converting and communicating highly technical information into content for a general audience.
- Experience working with 3D computer graphics software (such as Blender).
- Experience developing interactive games/apps for smartphones.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.