Refine Search Clear All
Enterprise Desktop Operations Lead
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 07/11/2022
Job Code: 393.1 Systems & Network Associate / 393.2 Systems & Network Sr Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Desktop Services Operations Lead. Working closely with the Desktop Services engineering team, you will operate, and support enterprise class desktop management systems used to support the mission of the lab. This position is in the Information Technology Solutions Division (ITSD) within the Computing Directorate, in support of the LivIT Program.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Recommend, justify, and implement operational service level improvements using an accepted change control methodology.
- You will interface directly with end users and work with the engineering team in the performance of root cause analysis of reported problems.
- You will work with Engineering and management in the planning of project milestones and staff expansion.
- Design and deliver creative solutions and resolve problems in a timely and proactive manner while collaborating within a diverse group.
- Ensure service levels are met and highest levels of service reliability are maintained.
- Define and maintain support documentation and procedures.
- Be a team player, maintain appropriate technology, computer security, ·
- Lead and mentor junior operations team members in best practices and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 393.2 level
- Manage multiple complex parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders, ensuring deadlines are met, while leveraging team member’s skills.
- Leverage tools and develop procedures to improve windows configuration management services and automate various complex tasks.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of administering Windows desktop and servers in large enterprise environment.
- Proficiency in administering and supporting a VMWare Horizon VDI environment or similar technology.
- Knowledge of thin client administration and support.
- Proficiency using PowerShell or similar automation platform to administer Microsoft systems and services.
- Experience effectively working in a dynamic, technical team environment with competing priorities.
- Proficient written and verbal communication and strong interpersonal skills, ability to interact with all levels of management and staff as well as outside vendors, contractors, service providers and consultants.
Additional qualifications at the 393.2 level
- Substantial experience architecting and administering highly redundant and fault tolerant enterprise Windows server environments including deployment, patching, monitoring, backup and repairing.
- Substantial knowledge and experience with PowerShell or similar automation platform to administer Microsoft systems and services.
- Advanced ability to provide innovative approaches and apply new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with VMWare and VMWare Horizon in a VDI context.
- Significant experience automating Windows server and Desktop builds.
- Good understanding of how to apply SCCM/MDT/WSUS in a VDI context.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.