Refine Search Clear All
Middleware Systems Administrator
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 06/07/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Middleware Systems Administrator to provide technical computer support for systems in a heterogeneous environment to solve a variety of complex technical problems. This position is in the NIF Computing (NIFC) Division within the Computing Directorate, and matrixed to the National Ignition Facility (NIF).
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below)
In this role you will
- Ensure proper operation of web applications across development, integration, testing, and production environments in collaboration with IT operating system administrators, managers, database administrators, software developers, and customers.
- Provide software development team support with the installation, patching and maintenance of mid-tier and container implementations such Java, WebLogic, Docker and Kubernetes.
- Support account provisioning, authentication, and authorization in applications and services such as OAM, Ping Federate, Active Directory, NIS, CIFS, and NFS.
- Implement and maintain multi-platform configuration, performance and monitoring technologies, such as Splunk, Puppet, Ansible, OEM, and Solar Winds, for continuous administration of environments and applications.
- Resolve complex operational issues and recommend methods of improvement in collaboration with management, customers, and team members.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of technical projects, including technical computer security issues, policies and procedures at the network and host level.
- Participate in periodic IT maintenance weekends.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Manage multiple advanced parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders to ensure deadlines are met, while leveraging team member’s skills.
- Independently apply in-depth technical expertise to solve complex technical problems and solutions using judgment in determining methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria.
- Develop tools and procedures to improve monitoring of infrastructure services and automate various complex tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration with a concentration in Computer Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Effective analytical skills necessary to analyze moderately complex systems and networks.
- Experience performing system administration on mid-tier technologies, to include WebLogic and Tomcat.
- Experience administering and configuring Kubernetes and Docker in a Linux environment.
- Experience administrating and configuring Single Sign-On (SSO) or Identity Management implementations such as Oracle OAM or Ping Federate in a Linux environment.
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies: Puppet, Ansible, Splunk, Active Directory, CSH/BASH and/or scripting.
- Ability to work off-hours, including weekends, as necessary.
- Experience providing effective customer support in a diverse user-community with widely varying levels of computer literacy.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in the above technical technologies, languages, concepts, or constructs.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a technical team environment, communicate technical information, and to prepare and present on technical topics and provide advice to management.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.