Refine Search Clear All
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 05/19/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a System Center Operation Manager (SCOM) Engineer. You will design, implement, and support SCOM services to monitor enterprise-wide critical services. This position is in the Information Technology Solutions Division (ITSD) within the Computing Directorate, in support of the Livermore Information Technology (LivIT) Program.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Design, implement and support Microsoft SCOM monitoring services in multiple enterprise environments.
- Work within team and with service owners to produce highly effective monitoring packages.
- Recommend, justify, and implement improvements using an accepted change control methodology.
- Design and deliver creative solutions and resolve problems in a timely and proactive manner while collaborating within a diverse group.
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain hardware server systems to support enterprise applications.
- Ensure service level agreements are met and highest levels of service reliability are maintained.
- Drive automation and scripting to develop solutions to common problems and reduce operational overhead.
- Support critical systems off-hours as needed and part of a regular 24/7 on-call rotation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Manage multiple complex parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders, ensuring deadlines are met, while leveraging team member skills.
- Develop tools and procedures to improve monitoring infrastructures services and automate various complex tasks.
- Lead and mentor junior administrators in best practices and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad experience utilizing Microsoft SCOM to monitor enterprise class services including creating custom monitors and dashboards.
- Proficient in the administration of highly redundant and fault tolerant enterprise Windows server environments including deployment, patching, monitoring, backup and repairing.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, technical team environment with competing priorities, tight deadlines and high pressure associated with operating a critical, complex system.
- Proficient using PowerShell to administer Microsoft systems and services.
- Proficient written and verbal communication and strong interpersonal skills, ability to interact with all levels of management and staff as well as outside vendors, contractors, service providers and consultants.
- Ability to maintain a professional manner and remain calm under
- Ability to work off-hours and on-call and to respond to service alerts from various monitoring systems (intermittently, either as-needed or as part of a rotation) and ability to secure and maintain a Q-level security clearance.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant experience architecting and deploying high available, enterprise class services.
- Advanced ability with PowerShell scripting and/or C# development.
- Advanced ability to provide innovative approaches and apply new technologies to tasks and projects that may not be well defined.
Qualifications We Desire
- Broad experience with cloud services such as Microsoft Azure or Amazon Web Services.
- Proficient with other Microsoft services such as Active Directory, Exchange, and Microsoft 365.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.