Refine Search Clear All
Senior Database Administrator
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 05/19/2022
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for two Senior Database Administrators. You will support the database administration activities required to manage the database infrastructure that underpins the Laboratory’s new National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) program’s applications. This position is in the Enterprise Infrastructure Services (EIS) Division within the Computing Directorate, supporting the Livermore Information Technology (LivIT) and NNSA programs.
Business needs dictate that this position requires an on-site presence multiple days a week. Therefore, telecommuting options will be limited.
This position will be filled at either SES.3 or SES.4 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Contribute to the development and deployment of a DBaaS service within a newly created private cloud infrastructure to ensure security standards are maintained while providing a highly automated and orchestrated process for database creation through to operational and lifecycle management.
- Support our internal transition towards data virtualization by leveraging the Denodo data virtualization toolset to help decouple applications from data layer integrations in and across the environment.
- Provide database administration support to our current suite of Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL Server, Mongo, Casandra, PostgreSQL, and DynamoDB databases.
- Provide technical, in-depth analysis on overall database management system designs and architectures and provide guidance and expertise in supporting our database services migration to leveraging cloud-based database PaaS services and containerization, including the migration from existing Oracle database technology into other competing database technologies.
- Support development staff by creating and maintaining current, non-production database environments to support development and quality assurance activities, while also encouraging proper utilization of database features to better meet application and business process needs and helping to tune and rewrite query logic to access underlying data structures more efficiently.
- Review and help optimize database data models within and across the various databases we support and help maintain/enhance our database cyber security posture.
- Support enterprise COTs application implementation, configuration, triage, and customization efforts, and support and help work issues introduced by our infrastructure patching and security efforts.
- Assist in the design, implementation and maintenance of database access through account management, object authorization, authentication mechanisms, data encryption and protocol encryption.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.4 Level
- Provide solutions that require in-depth analysis of multiple factors, customer needs, industry standards, security/compliance requirements and the creative use of established methods, including attracting and retaining projects, programs, and funding using your technical expertise.
- Direct technical tasks and projects and/or set broad project vision and strategy; influence technical direction for self and/or others while serving as a technical/project leader on large projects/programs including mentoring personnel and actively recruiting and contributing to the development of innovative principles and ideas.
- Serve on internal/external technical committees often representing the organization as the primary technical contact where your technical knowledge advancements could have impact beyond the Laboratory.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Management Information Systems, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Significant prior experience in developing and leveraging automation and orchestration tools to build, provision, patch, and secure database services within a commercial/private cloud environment.
- Significant prior experience in leveraging a data virtualization product, such as Denodo, to help decouple hard application data integration dependencies.
- Multi-year experience with administering Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL Server, MongoDB, Casandra, and/or DynamoDB Databases in and large enterprise arena, and significant experience with development tools and languages, such as Oracle Forms/Reports, PL/SQL, Java, Python, Oracle ADF, and/or JDeveloper.
- Significant experience installing, configuring, and supporting enterprise COTs applications (For Example: Oracle EBS, PeopleSoft, Atlassian, ePay, EAM).
- Advanced knowledge in UNIX and Windows operating system administration, security, performance tuning, enterprise-class storage array usage and integration within a database environment, and database backup and recovery procedures, software, strategies, and verification methodologies.
- Advanced knowledge of leveraging infrastructure monitoring and administration tools, such as Oracle Enterprise Manager, SQL Server Management Studio, SCOM and/or Icinga, to monitor and conduct alert escalation and database administration.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, author technical and scientific reports and papers, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Ability to work outside normal business hours in order to provide support for production infrastructure patching, upgrades, and testing.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.4 Level
- Significant database administration experience with demonstrated ability to architect cross-discipline technology solutions in a creative and innovative fashion, including serving as a subject matter expert for cloud services for database and application tier infrastructure delivery.
- Expert level communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
- Expert level experience in enterprise commercial off-the-shelf (COT) application architecture, design, implementation and management skills required to implement and manage large enterprise-class COTs application infrastructures, such as Oracle EBS and PeopleSoft.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now