Refine Search Clear All
IT Project Manager
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 05/12/2022
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have two openings for Project Managers. You will be responsible for leading multi-disciplinary teams in information technology (IT) projects and will interact with Program Leaders, Associate Program Leaders, Technical Staff, and customers including steering committees and project review panels to define project scope, project management approaches, cost, schedule, and to execute and report status of projects. You will take programmatic direction from the Director of the Livermore Information Technology (LivIT) Project Management Office (PMO) and will report administratively to the Computing Directorate’s Enterprise Application Services Division Leader.
This position will be filled at either the TSS.2 or TSS.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired.
In this role you will
- Under guidance of the PMO Director, assist in managing project teams to accomplish complex technical efforts to define scope, requirements, estimate, design, and implement each assigned project.
- Responsible for meeting functional criteria, negotiate requirements and limitations, deliver project on schedule and within cost objectives, and conduct project reviews.
- Prepare, maintain and manage project management plans, budgets/estimates, project authorization requests, project change control actions, monthly status reports and documentation suitable for audit review both during and after completion of project.
- Communicate project status to project teams, resolve issues, maintain project file, and recommend addition, expansion, or discontinuance of project scope to ensure successful completion of the project.
- Develop and deliver project proposals and presentations to a broad audience of customers, stakeholders, and senior managers.
- Facilitate and build consensus to drive business outcomes for the project.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the TSS.3 Level
- Serve as the technical project leader and motivate project teams to accomplish complex technical efforts to define scope, requirements, estimate, design, and implement each assigned project.
- Independently maintain, review, advise, and supervise project resource leveling, schedule critical path, and develop reports and graphs to report on project progress.
- Assist in driving the processes and the maturity of the project management discipline across LivIT.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Engineering, or related field, or equivalent level of education and related experience.
- Broad knowledge with experience in the use of project management methodologies and tools, such as Microsoft Project.
- Experience facilitating and conducting technical project reviews, preparing and maintaining budgets, and utilizing analytical, process flow, problem solving, customer relationship, organization, and conflict resolution skills.
- Proficient in applying problem-solving skills to independently recommend actions and solutions.
- Proven ability to work under minimal direction as a highly motivated, self-directed individual and collaboratively as part of a cohesive team.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, and provide advice to program management and stakeholders.
Additional Qualifications at the TSS.3 Level
- Professional certification in related areas such as the Project Management Professional (PMP) designation from the Project Management Institute (PMI), or equivalent certification, or equivalent level of experience.
- Significant experience in IT project management including project planning, scheduling, cost estimating, and baseline control.
- Significant experience applying advanced analytical and problem-solving skills to independently recommend actions and solutions.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now