Refine Search Clear All
Early Career Network Security Engineer - R&D
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 03/03/2022
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Network Security Engineer - R&D with a background in network security and an emphasis on operational technology networks. You will contribute to research projects in the area of cybersecurity for critical infrastructure systems and civilian networks. This position is in the Global Security Computing Applications Division (GS-CAD) of the Computing Directorate, matrixed to the Global Security Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Contribute to analysis of OT and IT network data to identify potential vulnerabilities and indicators of compromise working with interdisciplinary teams of scientists and engineers on relevant national security projects.
- Contribute to presentations that communicate results to sponsors and other stakeholders.
- Participate in testing and validating new OT network characterization tools, working with LLNL’s cyber-physical testbed team.
- Work with other LLNL scientists and application developers to bring research results to practical use in LLNL programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Contribute to the growth of existing and development of new network security capabilities at LLNL.
- Provide solutions to moderately complex problems involving largely identifiable factors.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Cybersecurity, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with at least one Programing Language (e.g., C, C++, Java, Python).
- Familiarity with network packet analysis tools (e.g., tcpdump, wireshark, tshark, libpcap).
- Familiarity with computer networking concepts and security (e.g., subnetting, routing protocols, Voice over IP(VoIP), DNS, Virtual Private Networks (VPN), encryption techniques and technologies, secure network architectures, and network security technologies such as encryption and firewalls)
- Fundamental knowledge of one or more of the following: high performance computing, scientific data analysis, statistical analysis, knowledge discovery, computer security, systems programming, large-scale data management, and big data technologies.
- Ability to effectively handle concurrent technical tasks with conflicting priorities, to approach difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity and to change focus when necessary, and to work independently and implement research concepts in a multi-disciplinary team environment, where commitments and deadlines are important to project success.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel with the ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills to prepare, present, and document technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience with control systems, OT and ICS/SCADA security, communication network protocol development and parsing, reverse engineering, and/or modeling.
- Knowledge of risk assessment tools and methods.
- Broad experience applying effective analytical and problem-solving skills to moderately complex problems, while working effectively under minimal guidance.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s Degree in Cybersecurity, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field.
- Experience with Incident Response and threat hunting.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with one or more of the following: Penetration testing or red teaming, malware analysis, protocol dissectors and decoders, configuring and maintaining network sensors, and/or configuring and deploying network SIEM solutions.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.