Refine Search Clear All
Predictive Science Academic Alliance Program III Student Intern (PSAAP III)
Students | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: 702.0 Government Funded Intern
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for graduate level students who are a part of the Predictive Science Academic Alliance Program III (PSAAP III) to perform discipline-focused research needed to help further predictive science enabled by effective extreme scale computing. This internship will run 10-12 consecutive weeks, between April and October, 2021. Our goal is to develop and demonstrate technologies and methodologies to support effective extreme computing in the context of science/engineering applications. You will provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of computational science, computer science, numerical methods, mathematics, or other related fields.
In this role you will
- Students will work with Scientists and Engineers doing research in assigned area.
- Under minimal supervision, will participate in research in assigned area.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of scientific research.
- Make an oral or poster presentation on the outcome of their research activities.
- Students should expect to spend approximately 40 hours a week working on their research projects or participating in the provided professional development opportunities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or other related fields.
- Must be an active member of the Predictive Science Academic Alliance Program III (PSAAP III).
- Demonstrated academic achievement in scientific curriculum.
- Experience applying advanced computational science and/or mathematical principles to solve technical problems.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.