Refine Search Clear All
Computational Mathematician - Postdoctoral Researcher
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 01/11/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to perform advanced research and development on scalable, reliable decentralized solvers for linear and nonlinear systems of equations in Unreliable distributed computing environments. This project aims to develop resiliency enhancements to classical scalable solvers for emerging computing environments, such as industrial control systems and electric microgrids. The successful candidate will work as a member of the collaborative autonomy team with computational mathematicians and computer scientists, including collaborators internal and external to the Laboratory. This position is in the Computing Directorate within the Center for Applied Scientific Computing (CASC) Division.
In this role you will:
- Conduct research and develop scalable solvers in one or both of the following areas: asynchronous decentralized linear and nonlinear solvers for sparse and dense linear systems; resiliency enhancements for the solvers to adapt around failures that may occur in a distributed computing environment; apply resilient solvers to bad data detection and data imputation applications.
- Implement algorithms for various topologically different computing environments.
- Test the developed resilient algorithms to relevant application areas.
- Collaborate and interact with multi-disciplinary research teams.
- Publish research results in external peer-reviewed scientific journals and participate in international conferences.
- Conduct independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to define and carry out the research.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in applied mathematics, computational science, or a related field.
- Advanced knowledge of scalable parallel solvers and numerical mathematics.
- Experience programming in C++, Python and/or Julia.
- Experience in parallel computing.
- Demonstrated ability to perform independent research.
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a multidisciplinary team, author technical and scientific reports and papers, and deliver technical presentations.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.