Refine Search Clear All
Livermore Computing Accounts Specialist
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 01/07/2022
Job Code: 525.2 Computer Support Technologist / 525.3 Sr Comp Support Technologist
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Livermore Computing (LC) Accounts Specialist to provide general tier 1 technical support for approximately 3,500 users of the LC supercomputing systems. You will be responsible for providing support by phone, in person or through email to answer and resolve requests for all LC account services provided by the LC Hotline. This position is in the Customer Service Group within the Livermore Computing Division of the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 525.2 or 525.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Support the administration of LC user accounts, OTP tokens, banks, UNIX groups, and shared directories, ensuring users are equipped to efficiently and effectively use LC supercomputers.
- Provide excellent customer service and support a diverse user community to answer and resolve customer calls and requests, document all service calls and solutions, and research and troubleshoot LC account issues.
- Provide general technical support to solve technical problems of moderate complexity within the LC user community in support of all of the account services.
- Document and maintain LC Accounts Specialists’ email templates, processes, and procedures.
- Maintain appropriate technology, computer security, and safety training.
- Process account and UNIX group creations and deletions via the LC Identity Management tool.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 525.3 level
- Provide advanced technical assistance to the LC user community by answering calls, emails, and self service requests from users.
- Implemente improvements to existing procedures and tools in collobration with team members.
- Develop scripts to automate LC Accounts Specialists’ support processes.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Associate’s degree in a Computer or Engineering related field or the equivalent combination of education, technical training and related experience.
- Experience working with customers, addressing issues, and managing customer requests on the phone, via email and/or in person.
- General working knowledge of the Linux, Windows and Macintosh Operating systems.
- Experience resolving moderately complex problems with a focus on details to ensure follow-through to assure problems are resolved.
- Experience writing technical solutions and commercial knowledgebase articles.
- Ability to develop and follow detailed policies and procedures.
- Experience and knowledge of the skills needed for a customer support role to include a focus on listening, rapport-building, good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with individuals with all levels of technical and non-technical skill sets. Display a friendly and approachable nature and the ability to show courtesy and patience under stress.
- Ability to work with other members of the LC division, LC Computer Coordinators and PI’s.
Additional qualifications at the 525.3 level
- Ability to evaluate existing operational procedures and develop and implement process improvement changes to improve LC Hotline operations.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, attention to detail, consistent resolution of problems.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with individuals with all levels of technical and non-technical skill sets.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced knowledge of the Linux operating system, Microsoft Office Suite and Service Now incident management system.
- Experience working at a service desk.
- Experience using mysql or similar database.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.