Refine Search Clear All
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 12/01/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a DevOps Engineer to develop and manage production operations for a heterogeneous environment supporting build, release, deployment, configuration, database, and service hosting activities for the Environmental Restoration Department and the ES&H Technical Services Department. You will provide technical vision and execution for continuous integration, continuous delivery, data pathing, software testing, and containerization of applications and services. You will be part of a diverse team of software engineers, database administrators, computer engineers, and statisticians that provide advanced support and technical solutions for the Laboratory’s environmental programs. This position is in the Applications, Simulations, and Quality Division within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Implement a container infrastructure from the ground up and containerize existing applications to run in the new infrastructure.
- Provide comprehensive operational reliability support across a heterogenous Linux and Windows environment that supports both large and small software projects & services.
- Manage continuous integration infrastructure and develop new continuous deployment capabilities for this infrastructure.
- Work closely with software engineers and IT specialists to realize technical solutions and ensure reliability of production services.
- Streamline existing data collection and ingestion pipelines from environmental sensors that support near real-time web applications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Provide input, guidance, and vision for the software and hardware deployment environments for the two Departments.
- Manage and provide advanced software development support to analysts and scientific staff for a containerized JupyterLab deployment.
- Integrate authentication and directory services into existing custom software deployments.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or in a related field, or equivalent combination of education and relevant previous experience in a security discipline(s).
- Experience developing and supporting software with modern programming, scripting, and shell languages within Linux and Windows environments, such as C++, Python, Perl, bash, and zsh.
- Broad experience in managing software runtime environments including tasks such as dependency management and performance monitoring.
- Experience performing technical forensics to debug complex issues that span multiple components of a technical stack.
- Broad experience installing and configuring Linux and/or Windows operating systems including components such as networking, daemons, services, virtualization, and networked storage.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills and experience conveying technical information to both technical and non-technical staff.
- Demonstrated experience proactively engaging others outside the immediate team to complete projects.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Demonstrated experience in managing technical projects through the entire lifecycle.
- Experience with directory services and related authentication technologies, such as LDAP, Active Directory, OAuth2, Kerberos, and JWT.
- Experience providing guidance and mentoring to less experienced personnel.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working with hybrid teams (in-office and remote) using modern collaboration tools such as Microsoft Teams and Cisco WebEx.
- Experience with software development collaboration & issue tracking tools (e.g. Atlassian, GitLab).
- Experience deploying and managing SQL databases (e.g. Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL), including topics such as replication, backups, and performance tuning.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now