Refine Search Clear All
Computing Graduate Student Intern - Summer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 11/16/2021
Job Code: 705.3 Grad Student Computer Prof / 712.1 Intern Computer Prof
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
Positions will be closed to applicants on January 31, 2022.
We have multiple openings for our Summer Graduate Internship Program taking place from April 1, 2022 to August 31, 2022. Our openings are for graduate level students and students who have received a bachelor’s or master’s degree who will be given the opportunity to engage in practical research to further their educational goals. The selected interns will work in the computer software field and provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of computational science, cyber defense, computer science, numerical methods, mathematics, or other related fields.
In this role you will
- Work with scientists, engineers, and technical staff members to provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of computational science, numerical methods, mathematics, or other related fields.
- Support documentation, testing, creation or modification of Laboratory software, hardware, or Computer operating systems.
- Under limited direction and supervision, will conduct research in assigned area.
- Perform technical assignments of basic degree of complexity and provide technical support to scientists in scientific research and development projects.
- Present work through presentations and/or poster sessions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or has completed their bachelor’s or master’s degree.
- Ability to apply computational science and/or mathematical principles to solve technical problems.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in scientific curriculum.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Experience applying advanced computational science and/or mathematical principles to solve technical problems.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Must have GPA of 3.0 or higher.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now