Refine Search Clear All
Kubernetes Infrastructure Architect
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 10/14/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Kubernetes Infrastructure Architect to provide technical computer support for systems in a heterogeneous enterprise environment to solve a variety of moderately complex technical problems in a timely manner. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division supporting Global Security Programs within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Design and implement application environments on premises using Kubernetes infrastructure.
- Work cross-functionally to create and document requirements, develop, and deliver solutions.
- Provide Kubernetes design expertise across the organization for addressing operational issues as well as supporting software development activities.
- Modify and maintain existing containerized applications and Kubernetes infrastructure.
- Define and document requirements for hardware and software upgrades on platform system components.
- Identify deficiencies in current Kubernetes designs and recommend solutions. Identify system scaling limitations and recommend and implement improvements.
- Investigate, evaluate, and recommend emerging technologies to improve service, reduce cost, and improve scalability.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Convert both server applications and web applications into Containers.
- Apply in-depth technical expertise to solve complex technical problems and develop solutions using judgment in determining methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria.
- Develop tools and procedures to facilitate complex automation efforts as well as cross-platform/environment monitoring solutions.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration with a concentration in Computer Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience (e.g., approximately 7+ years).
- In depth experience with Kubernetes infrastructure and significant experience as a Linux Systems Administrator preferably within a software development environment.
- In depth experience installing, configuring, and administering Kubernetes distributions including security, compliance, and automation.
- Experience with complex IT infrastructure architecture planning, design, and implementation.
- Experience with configuration management tools (e.g., Puppet, Chef, or Ansible), software performance tuning, configuration optimization, packaging (RPM), and systems integration.
- Experience programming with scripting languages (e.g., Bash, Perl, Python, or Node).
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Significant experience in all phases of the software development lifecycle and software development experience with a high-level language (e.g., Java, C++, Node).
- Significant experience with security and configuration standards (CIS, STIGs or equivalent).
- Experience as a technical project leader.
- Database installation and management experience (e.g., MySQL, MariaDB, Oracle, PostgreSQL).
- Professional Certifications (e.g., VMware VCA or VCP-DCV, CompTIA A+, RedHat RHCSA, Ansible AWS).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now