Refine Search Clear All
Splunk Data Analyst
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a SPLUNK Data Analyst to focus on continuous monitoring and building analysis tools for cyber security threats. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division supporting Weapons and Complex Integration within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Splunk administration tasks including dashboard creation, maintenance, patching, account provision and data capture optimization and contribute to the fulfillment of technical projects, including technical computer security issues, policies, and procedures at the network and host level.
- Collect the end-to-end monitoring requirements for end user behavior, application monitoring, infrastructure, log monitoring, and database schema.
- Design and implement effective data processing architectures and implement design improvements in collaboration with cyber security and infrastructure architects.
- Establish monitoring dashboard for status, analytics, performance and notification/alerting.
- Summarize large amount of system log data into meaningful graphs and reports.
- Working knowledge of common platforms including Unix, Linux and Windows.
- Develop and manage continuous monitoring projects and tasks. Collaborate with other LLNL organizations to ensure consistency between continuous monitoring tools and projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Manage multiple advanced parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders to ensure deadlines are met, while leveraging team member’s skills.
- Independently apply in-depth technical expertise to solve complex technical problems and solutions using judgment in determining methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria.
- Develop tools and procedures to improve monitoring infrastructures services and automate various complex tasks.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Cyber Security, Information Assurance, or in a related field, or equivalent combination of education and relevant previous experience in a security discipline(s).
- Analytical skills necessary to analyze moderately complex situations.
- Broad experience with cyber-related tools for continuous monitoring such as Splunk, Tenable, SolarWinds, Ansible, Tenable, Grafana, etc.
- Experience with system audit log generation, log normalization and logging behavior for major OS (Windows & Linux) and applications.
- Experience with cyber security applications and tools: (Nessus, SolarWinds Security Event Manager ACL’s, F5, Tenable, LDAP, RHAT Satellite Server, etc.).
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to collaborate in a team environment and document, present and explain technical information.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with conflicting priorities, to approach difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity and to change focus, when necessary, with experience working independently, and demonstrated ability to perform independent work.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of and technical expertise with cyber-related tools for continuous monitoring such as Splunk, STIG/SCAP, and Tenable.
- Advanced knowledge of writing security scripts in Python, Peal, Java, etc. that pull logging information from applications and tools: (Firewalls, ACL’s, F5, Tenable, LDAP, RHAT Satellite Server, etc.).
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a technical team environment to present, explain and provide advice to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience leading and conducting internal audits, participating in Government assessments and inspections, investigating and mitigating areas of risk or non-compliance.
- Experience in computer and network technologies and knowledge of cyber security requirements.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now