Refine Search Clear All
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Network Engineer to provide advanced level engineering in the areas of network design, configuration, and management considering emerging technologies, best practices, and industry standards. You will articulate advanced networking concepts to programmatic management and systems architects to collaboratively design a cohesive, structured, and secured network environment. This position is in the Livermore Computing (LC) Division’s Computing Operations and Networking Group within the Computing Directorate.
In this role you will
- Configure and troubleshoot VLANs, routing protocols (EIGRP, OSPF, BGP), software defined networks (SDN), policy-based routing (PBR), STP, HSRP and firewalls in large, complex networks, network services, enterprise services and applications relating to network technologies.
- Implement HPC datacenter networks, utilizing modern networking overlay technologies including EVPN, VXLan, Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI), etc.
- Design and implement enterprise class network infrastructure based on technology from Cisco, Arista, Juniper, Palo Alto Networks, F5, and other related network technologies.
- Collaborate in the development of innovative solutions that will eventually lead to a cohesive, structured, and secured network environment.
- Provide network troubleshooting and operational support in Linux environments, network security, as well as support for edge, core, distribution, and access layers of the network.
- Define network requirements and solutions to meet customer needs while interfacing with LLNL customers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Information Systems or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Ability to troubleshoot infrastructure capacity/performance problems and provide proposed solutions.
- Comprehensive knowledge of computer science fundamentals in algorithms and data structures and/or computer networking fundamentals, including proficiency in one or more scripting languages, such as Python, Perl.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of and technical experience with Linux operating systems and related hardware.
- Experience configuring and managing a medium to large datacenter and enterprise networks in LAN & WAN environments.
- Experience supporting secure, highly reliable, enterprise networks with comprehensive knowledge of L2/L3 network principles and routing protocols (EIGRP, OSPF, BGP), STP and HSRP and experience designing, configuring, operating, monitoring, and managing switches and routers or equivalent network equipment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the standards governing both TCP/IP and Ethernet.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills to prepare, present, document, and explain technical information, effective interpersonal skills, and the ability to collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team environment and to interact with all levels of management and staff.
- Ability to support occasional schedule-driven project deliverables and off-hours infrastructure upgrades with the ability to participate in afterhours on-call rotation.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.