Refine Search Clear All
Computer Support Technologist
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: 525.2 Computer Support Technologist / 525.3 Sr Comp Support Technologist
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Computer Support Technologist. You will perform secure communications custodian responsibilities for the primary LLNL Communications Security (COMSEC) Account. You will serve as the secure communications point-of-contact for the Laboratory which involves supporting cryptographic equipment, message transmittal/receipt in the Secure Communications Center, and perform duties as a Classified Administrative Specialist (CAS). This position is in the Enterprise Infrastructure Services (EIS) Division within the Computing Directorate, supporting the LivIT program.
This position will be filled at either the 525.2 or 525.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Conduct individual software upgrades to viper phones and establish centralized software support for vipers across the site to include maintaining computers and networking equipment to centrally manage viper software and configurations.
- Provide technical support to classified and unclassified Video Teleconferencing Centers.
- Conduct Communications Security (COMSEC) support for the LLNL site COMSEC account and take all required training.
- Provide support in the control and inventory of COMSEC equipment and materials assigned to the Secure Communications Center’s account, including assisting with the semi-annual and annual COMSEC inventories and DOE audits.
- Analyze cybersecurity requirements for new and existing projects, develop cybersecurity solutions to address program and sponsor requirements, and provide input on cybersecurity technologies, applications, and/or threats for existing projects and sponsors.
- Assist customers with their secure communication devices across the Laboratory.
- Provide on-call support to the Center after hours and weekends on a rotating basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the 525.3 Level
- Develop and implement business/security processes and procedures for the center, COMSEC accounts and COMSEC equipment.
- Establish metrics, collect data, prepare reports and charts, as well as establish and modify work procedures, guidelines and/or techniques.
- Identify and resolve complex COMSEC issues.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate Degree (AA) in a Computer, Engineering or related field or the equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Knowledge of and experience in one or more of the following areas: COMSEC, cyber security policies and/or administration or working in a classified environment.
- Comprehensive organizational skills with experience handling multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously in a dynamic operations environment.
- Experience working with customers, technical support personnel, and many levels of management both within and outside the Laboratory to address issues and manage customer concerns and requests over the phone and/or in person.
- Experience applying organizational practices/policies, techniques, standards, processes, and systems.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and on-call service.
- Effective written, verbal, and presentation communication skills, including the ability to work effectively with a diverse workforce and customers.
Additional Qualifications at the 525.3 Level
- Advanced analytical and troubleshooting skills, attention to detail, with the ability to provide consistent resolution to COMSEC issues.
- Ability to analyze moderately complex data with the ability to develop reporting and metrics.
- Ability to provide effective customer support with a focus on listening, rapport-building, good communications skills and negotiation skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of LLNL policies and procedures.
- Knowledge or experience in areas such as: Viper VoIP secure telephones, encryption equipment and procedures.
- COMSEC knowledge, training and/or experience.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now