Refine Search Clear All
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 09/15/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an experienced software engineer, with an emphasis on building cloud native solutions, to design, develop and support software systems using leading edge technologies in support of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Our customers rely on innovative and consistent delivery to meet their immediate needs while complying with federal requirements and national security. LLNL is a preeminent laboratory providing state of the art solutions for the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) and the Department of Energy (DOE). The position will report to IDaaS and DevOps manager within Information Technology Solutions Division in the Computing Directorate in support of the LivIT Program.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced software application engineering and maintenance for all phases of the development lifecycle, including analysis, design, prototyping, implementation, and support.
- Develop systems that will consume, store, and process large amounts of data from multiple sources and make the data available in a consistent manner to many different consumers.
- Gather and generate functional requirements, develop architectural design documentation, and provide status for project tracking activities.
- Deploy software following an agile design methodology to be secure, free of vulnerabilities, and componentized for ease of maintenance.
- Provide in-depth analysis and innovative methods to enhance and extend products and services to a broad customer base. Including government, industry, and citizens.
- Develop technical artifacts to support proposals, architecture, and application code base.
- Provide knowledge sharing with team members and/or mentoring in application design and business processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Lead complex process analysis and system design efforts to provide innovative solutions to internal and external customers.
- Lead efforts from initial design through implementation to deliver robust, secure, state-of-the-art systems.
- Architect and lead cloud-based engineering and pipeline solutions.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer science or engineering related field or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Broad experience with software product development experience using object oriented, functional, or other high level / modern language, such as, Java, Python, Go.
- Comprehensive experience with cloud native solutions and security architectures, including serverless and cloud service providers.
- Knowledge of data schema design and performance analysis and tuning in SQL (e.g., MySql, Oracle) / NoSQL (e.g., MongoDB, Elasticsearch).
- Proficiency working independently and collaboratively as part of a cohesive development team.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities, enthusiastically approach difficult problems with innovative solutions in dynamic work scope.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management and customer
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant experience delivering complex process analysis and system design efforts to provide innovative solutions to internal and external customers.
- Significant experience delivering complex enterprise solutions to a broad user community.
- Advanced knowledge of software quality assurance methodologies, including software system testing activities.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in designing/implementing ETL data pipeline, ideally leveraging AWS tooling.
- Experience with user interface development (e.g., Angular, ReactJS).
- Experience with CI (e.g., Jenkins, GitLab) / CD (e.g., Ansible) and infrastructure as code (e.g., AWS CloudFormation).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.