Refine Search Clear All
Defense Database Application Developer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 08/25/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Software Developer with database and API integration experience. You will develop a unified data capture, tracking, and analysis system for an elite military selection and training program. You will work with a highly interdisciplinary team to build an integrated solution for tracking and analyzing candidate performance. This position is in the Global Security Computing Applications Division (GS-CAD) in the Computing Directorate, matrixed to the Global Security Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide moderately complex computer science and software development support, following industry standard software development practices in Python and Java using SQL databases.
- Utilize RESTful APIs to interact with data stores, data analysis and business intelligence tools.
- Automate data ingestion tasks and develop data visualization tools.
- Contribute to the software quality assurance practices by developing automated unit tests and following git workflows.
- Participate in the requirements definition, analysis, design, implementation, debugging, testing, and optimization of computer programs on workstations, servers, and cloud-based environments.
- Collaborate with a diverse development team to share relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain complex software systems using advanced object-oriented analysis, design, and programming techniques.
- Provide solutions to complex problems involving largely identifiable factors.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience developing software with Python and Java using object-oriented concepts within Linux and/or Windows environments.
- Skilled in all aspects of software project life cycle: feasibility, requirements, design, implementation, integration, test, and deployment using Agile methodologies and tools (e.g., Git, Jira, Confluence).
- Experience with one of the following databases: MariaDB/MySQL, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Smartabase.
- Experience writing code to query REST APIs using Python and Java.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and meet deadlines that are important to project success.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel with the ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and collaboration skills to prepare, present, and document technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant experience providing innovative approaches and applying new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects.
- Significant experience applying effective analytical and problem-solving skills to complex problems, as well as experience delivering production quality software.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- Knowledge and experience architecting SQL database systems.
- Experience with COTS business intelligence / data analysis software such as Microsoft Power BI, Tableau, or SAS, as well as experience building web data visualization applications that integrate with COTS business intelligence tools.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.