Refine Search Clear All
Linux Systems Administrator
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 08/18/2021
Job Code: 393.1 Systems & Network Associate / 393.2 Systems & Network Sr Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information access (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Linux Systems Administrator to provide advanced technical computer support for systems in a heterogeneous environment to solve a variety of complex technical problems in a timely manner. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division within the Computing Directorate, matrixed to the Field Intelligence Element (FIE).
This position will be filled at either the 393.1 or 393.2 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Manage the operations of the Linux and HPC environments.
- Perform Linux and HPC installations, configurations, upgrades and ongoing maintenance activities on bare metal hardware and virtual environments, installation of software releases, patches of the operation system and utilities, third-party products, and open-source software.
- Perform installation of software releases, patches of operating systems and utilities, third-party products, and open-source software.
- Support data and process migration between internal systems, as well as platform authentication and application deployment
- Collaborate with management, customers, and team members to evaluate and recommend procurements of Linux and HPC hardware and software.
- Implement, support, and maintain multi-platforms, including Splunk, Tenable Security Scanner, Nagios and other performance/monitoring technologies and utilize tools to monitor and support systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the 393.2 Level
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve complex system and network related problems.
- Serve as a technical leader, internal and external consultant in area of expertise, providing highly advanced technical assistance to the use community and collaborating with customers in the design of their computing environment.
- Implement highly advanced designs, produced in collaboration with data scientists and infrastructure architects.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q and SCI-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Computer, Information Technology, or Engineering related field or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of and technical experience with Linux operating systems and related hardware.
- Experience with complex troubleshooting.
- Advanced ability to set priorities and independently resolve complex problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience patching operating systems and performing installation of software releases.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience distributing and enforcing standard configurations in Puppet infrastructure.
- Proficient interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to work independently and interact with a multi-disciplinary staff in a team environment.
- Experience and knowledge of the skills needed for a customer support role to include a focus on listening, rapport-building, friendly and approachable nature, courtesy, and patience, and negotiating and influencing skills in a diverse user community with wide levels of computer literacy.
Additional Qualifications at the 393.2 Level
- Highly advanced knowledge of and significant technical experience with Linux operating systems, virtual environments, and/or related hardware.
- Significant experience mentoring employees in technical areas.
- Significant experience as a technical lead on advanced projects, achieving positive results, and driving projects to closure, on time and on budget.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge and technical expertise with enterprise support tools for management, patching, backup or software distribution, Linux operating systems and computer security concepts and practices, and computer network hardware/software protocols and principles.
- Experience with managing HPC on a TOSS-based platform and writing intermediate to advanced shell scripts.
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies: SPLUNK, Tenable Security Scanner, Nessus, Puppet/Chef or equivalent, Nagios, RHEL 6 and REHL 7, RHN Satellite, PKI authentications, Active Directory, Scripting, GIT, BIND, DNS, Perl, CSH/BASH, Docker and other container technologies.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now