Refine Search Clear All
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 07/21/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
Do you loathe doing the same task over and over? Do you enjoy cybersecurity implementation in the latest tech? Then we have a Cybersecurity Engineer position for you. This position will be an integral part of our team to help build and automate our infrastructure and assist researchers in automating their research applications and tools used for performing state of the art research leveraging cloud native technologies. The system will help to protect the North American energy infrastructure and make it more resilient to threats like extreme weather, wildfires, cyber, and the like. If you are looking to effect change and make an impact from the ground up, keep reading.
We have an opening for a Cybersecurity Engineer. You will develop and support a robust, scalable, and operational cloud native infrastructure that enables 24x7 operations. This position is in the Global Security Computing Applications (GS-CAD) Division in the Computing Directorate, matrixed to the Global Security Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Contribute to the architecture of a DevSecOps infrastructure that meets requirements for 24x7 uptime, and efficient, frequent software delivery.
- Investigate and participate in the deployment of infrastructure monitoring, alerting, and logging tools for the DevSecOps infrastructure.
- Recommend cybersecurity tools, methods, and technologies to implement solutions to benefit national security.
- Identify, design, implement, and manage Docker/Kubernetes virtualization infrastructure in Linux, to support moderately complex operational, development, and security requirements.
- Incorporate security checks and audits into CI/CD system, and to implement security solutions for AWS and Azure AD, working with security teams.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Provide solutions that require in-depth analysis of multiple factors and the creative use of established and/or innovative methods.
- Monitor networks and systems for security breaches or intrusions, and quickly identify and implement security fixes to mitigate issues.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad experience implementing security solutions for the cloud - AWS and Azure AD, including AD, ALB, ECS, S3, EKS, federated authentication, OpenID Connect, OAuth client, RESTful APIs and microservices.
- Experience with Python using agile methodology and tools (Git, Jira, Confluence).
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes to troubleshoot a containerized environment.
- Experience with JSON web tokens, private/public keys, and encryption.
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines in GitHub, GitLab and/or Jenkins.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and meet deadlines that are important to project success.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel with the ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Effective verbal and written communication and collaboration skills to prepare, present, and document technical information.
Additional qualifications, at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of and significant technical experience with Linux operating systems, virtual environments (Vagrant, VMware or Ovirt), containerized environments (Docker, Podman or Kubernetes) and/or related hardware.
- Experience with Ansible and/or Terraform to support Infrastructure as Code (IaC).
- Significant experience in networking and network protocols, compilers, malware/software analysis, reverse engineering, virtualization, vulnerabilities, incident response, cryptography, red-teaming, and/or systems/network programming.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of energy and telecommunications infrastructure, and advanced modeling and simulation tools, such as, HELICS.
- Experience with log management tools like Grafana or ELK, static analysis tool like SonarQube, and power system tools like PowerWorld Simulator.
- Experience with Terraform and Ansible to automate infrastructure deployment.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.