Refine Search Clear All
Numerical Optimization for Quantum Control and Characterization - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 07/14/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to perform research in the areas of numerical optimization for scalable quantum optimal control and characterization of quantum systems. You will be part of an interdisciplinary team that develops and implements numerical algorithms for constrained optimization, where the constraints arise from Schrodinger’s or Lindblad’s differential equations. These algorithms will be used to characterize and control an increasing number of coupled quantum oscillators (qubits) in the next generation of quantum computing hardware. This position is in the Center for Applied Scientific Computing (CASC) Division within the Computing Directorate.
In this role you will:
- Research new strategies and explore existing techniques for ODE-constrained optimization of control pulses applicable to scalable quantum hardware.
- Provide the supporting mathematical analysis of the underlying algorithms and implement them in a high-level programming language that utilizes existing and next-generation high performance computing (HPC) machines.
- Implement GPU-based acceleration techniques for solving Schroedinger’s and Lindblad’s equations.
- Participate in the establishment of future research directions and contribute to group grant proposals, including proposal presentations and preparation of proposals.
- Document complex research and development progress via technical reports, journal publications, and conference presentations and collaborate with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to accomplish research goals.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to define and carry out the research.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Computational or Applied Mathematics, Numerical Analysis, Computational Physics, or a related field.
- Experience in numerical methods for time-dependent wave propagation.
- Experience developing software in a high-level language such as C/C++ or Julia.
- Knowledge of constrained optimization, in particular where the constraints arise from differential equations.
- Knowledge of numerical analysis, numerical linear algebra, and numerical solution of differential equations.
- Ability to conduct high quality independent research and to develop software implementations to evaluate the results.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact in a clear and concise manner, author technical and scientific reports and papers, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Initiative and interpersonal communication skills necessary to work effectively in a dynamic team environment.
- Experience developing GPU-accelerated software, e.g. using Cuda or RAJA.
- Knowledge of Bayesian approaches for parameter estimation.
- Knowledge of quantum physics.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now