Refine Search Clear All
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 07/01/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Software Engineer within the Weapons and Complex Integration Directorate, where you will design, test, deploy and maintain software solutions. This position is in the Applications, Simulation, and Quality (ASQ) Division within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide computer science and software development support using industry standard software development practices and modern programming languages and operating systems.
- Gather, analyze, and document new systems requirements and changes to existing systems.
- Develop detailed design specifications, schema design and entity relationship models.
- Engage other developers frequently to share relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of technical projects and organizational objectives, functioning as an effective team member on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Participate in the entire software development lifecycle.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.2 Level
- Contribute to the design, implementation, deployment, and maintenance of software systems using object-oriented analysis, design, and programming techniques.
- Provide solutions to moderately complex problems involving largely identifiable factors.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge of object-oriented design principles.
- Knowledge and/or experience with relational databases.
- Knowledge and/or experience with web development.
- Skilled in all aspects of software project life cycle: feasibility, requirements, design, implementation, integration, test and deployment.
- Experience working independently and/or as part of a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Effective interpersonal and critical thinking skills necessary to contribute to team objectives.
- Sufficient written and verbal communication skills necessary to prepare, present, and document technical information.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.2 Level
- Comprehensive knowledge and/or experience with relational database.
- Broad experience with information systems application development.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience with backend technologies such as Node, Spring, Java Persistence Architecture (JPA), MongoDB or Oracle databases.
- Experience in software design and architecture principles.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now