Refine Search Clear All
Machine Learning Research Scientist - Postdoctoral Research Staff Member
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 06/21/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Postdoctoral Researchers to engage in the research, design, and deployment of machine learning and statistical methods to solve important data and science problems stemming from the Laboratory's mission spaces. You will work as part of collaborative, multidisciplinary teams to support a variety of application areas (such as material science, high energy physics, predictive medicine, cybersecurity, and energy systems modeling). These positions are in the Center for Applied Scientific Computing (CASC) Division within the Computing Directorate.
In this role you will
- Research, design, implement, and apply advanced machine learning methods for multiple applications in a collaborative scientific environment.
- Actively participate with project scientists and engineers in defining, planning, and formulating experimental, modeling, and simulation efforts for complex problems stemming from national security applications.
- Propose and implement advanced analysis methodologies, collect and analyze data, and document results in technical reports and peer-reviewed publications.
- Contribute to grant proposals and collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment, including academic and industrial partners, to accomplish research goals.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Machine Learning, Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics or a related field.
- Experience developing, implementing and applying advanced statistical or machine learning models and algorithms using modern software libraries such as pytorch, tensorflow, stan, or similar.
- Ability and desire to obtain substantial domain knowledge in fields of application in order to communicate effectively with subject matter experts, and to identify novel, impactful applications of machine learning.
- Experience with scientific programming in at least one high level language such as Python/R/Julia.
- Ability to conduct research, as documented by publications, reports, and presentations.
- Advanced analytical problem-solving and decision-making skills needed to craft creative solutions and independently solve complex problems.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a multidisciplinary team environment, present and explain technical information to technical as well non-technical audiences, document work and write research papers.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with high-performance computing, GPU programming, parallel programming, cloud computing, and/or related methods.
- Demonstrated technical leadership in fields related to machine learning.
- Experience with scientific programming in low level languages such as C/C++/Fortran.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.