Refine Search Clear All
Communications Security Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 06/14/2021
Job Code: 393.1 Systems & Network Associate / 393.2 Systems & Network Sr Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Communications Security Engineer with expertise in network troubleshooting, VoIP, and COMSEC implementation and operations. You will be responsible for the installation, configuration, and maintenance of secure VoIP/IP related network equipment and software. This position is in the Enterprise Infrastructure Services Division (EIS) within the Livermore IT Program (LivIT).
This position will be filled at either the 393.1 or 393.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Secure and maintain COMSEC certification.
- Apply networking knowledge and experience to provide troubleshooting and operational support for vIPer and secure communications equipment to include applying COMSEC keys, configuration, maintenance, troubleshooting technical issues, as well as upgrading appropriate operating systems and application software.
- Serve as the expert for the configuration and visualization of secure telecommunication devices via General Dynamics GEM One software.
- Provide tier 2 and 3 customer support for General Dynamics Secure Systems, vIPer phones, and TACLANE encryptors.
- Manage vIPer inventory process to include distribution, tracking, and destruction of secure phones and keying material.
- Occasionally work outside normal business hours to provide support for operations and maintenance activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the 393.2 Level
- Deliver advanced design and support of complex secure communications networking equipment and infrastructures, in alignment with customer and cyber security requirements.
- Configure and effectively utilize network management and monitoring tools.
- Diagnose, resolve, and document highly complex VoIP, ComSec, or network problems.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer or engineering related field, or the equivalent combination of technical training, and related experience.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of secure communication network and equipment, such as VoIP and Video Tele Conferencing (VTC) systems design, implementation, and troubleshooting.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of Windows operating systems and Unix.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced and challenging environment, with multiple and competing priorities, while managing to maintain sound judgement and excellent customer service.
- Proficient interpersonal and verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to work independently and interact with customers and team members.
- Ability to work off-hours and on-call (intermittently, either as-needed or as part of a rotation).
Additional Qualifications at the 393.2 Level
- Broad and in-depth knowledge and significant experience developing advanced infrastructure architecture solutions.
- Highly advanced troubleshooting skills and experience solving problems by analyzing protocol interactions collected in packet traces or alternative networking analysis tools.
- Experience training and mentoring team members in network engineering and/or IT systems architecture.
Qualifications We Desire
- Active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top-Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Knowledge of ComSec practices and principles.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now