Refine Search Clear All
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 06/11/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Data Specialist to support research performed in the Geophysical Monitoring Programs (GMP) with quantitative skills and experience in working with large quantities of geophysical data. You will work with the GMP team to collect, organize, and manage the extensive seismic research database. This position is in the Computing directorate’s Global Security Computing Applications Division (GS-CAD) and will be matrixed to the Seismology Group within the Atmospheric, Earth, and Energy Division (AEED) in the Physical and Life Sciences (PLS) Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Collect, organize, and manipulate geophysical data sets for processing, including data storage, access, and quality control.
- Develop and maintain metadata management processes/practices to facilitate data curation.
- Work with the GMP team to help maintain and improve the LLNL Seismic Research Database (SRDB) in support of a variety of research programs related to non-proliferation, national and energy security.
- Discover, retrieve and reformat international datasets from a variety of public sources and collaborative partnerships.
- Interact with sponsors, customers, partners, and data providers including universities, U.S. government agencies, national laboratories, foreign data providers, consortia, and international organizations (e.g. CTBTO).
- Support research and proposals from the Seismology Group and team members; provide support to GMP researchers in presenting results at program reviews, scientific meetings and in peer-reviewed journals and technical reports.
- Work as part of a scientific team and interact with seismologists and other researchers to design and implement research projects, while coordinating program requirements and deliverables for sponsors.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Provide oversight and serve as organizational spokesperson to external partners on current geophysical research.
- Set broad project vision and strategy and influence technical direction for self and others.
- Characterize seismic sources and the subsurface using seismological and geophysical methods.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelors degree in Seismology, Geophysics or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of seismic and other geophysical data including infrasound, hydroacoustic, geodetic, and imagery.
- Knowledge in distribution methods for geophysical data including data providers (FDSN, NEIC, IRIS, UNAVCO, IMS, ORFEUS), web data services, compression, and/or encryption.
- Familiarity with seismological and geophysical methods for characterizing the subsurface.
- Broad experience collecting, processing and analyzing local/regional seismic data, and proficiency in organizing and analyzing large databases of waveforms, events, amplitudes, and arrivals.
- Comprehensive programming skills (Java, C/C++, Python, Matlab, Perl, scripts), and experience with heterogeneous computing environments (Mac/PC/UNIX/LINUX platforms).
- Familiarity with relational databases, including SQL scripting, and an understanding of enterprise-level relational databases and data repositories.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant experience and subject matter expertise in seismology and other geophysical methods.
- Significant experience developing and implementing creative solutions to a diverse range of highly complex problems.
- Experience writing and presenting reports, publications, and proposals.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.