Refine Search Clear All
IT Service Desk Technician
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 05/06/2021
Job Code: 525.2 Computer Support Technologist / 525.3 Sr Comp Support Technologist
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information access (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an IT Service Desk Technician to provide remote desktop and network technical support in a demanding and fast-paced environment for approximately 7,000 on and off-site employees, and collaborators, working under general supervision. You will provide support for a comprehensive range of complex IT services supported by the service desk including troubleshooting and resolving customer issues and requests, documenting all service calls and solutions, and researching and troubleshooting hardware and software related issues. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division within Computing and matrixed to the Livermore Information Technology (LivIT) Program.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
Provide (remote) technical assistance and support to the user community by answering calls, emails and self-service requests for Windows and Mac OS X operating systems and the core operating environment, including but not limited to Microsoft Office 365 Cloud, Cisco Unified Communications applications, Active Directory, Multifactor Authentication Services, remote access, and encryption software.
- Provide effective and efficient customer service and support with the ability to multi-task.
- Provide general technical guidance to the local and remote users in support of all IT services supported by the Service Desk.
- Create, document, escalate, and track concise tickets through ServiceNow.
- Write technical articles, solutions and how-to documentation for support and end users.
- Maintain appropriate technology, computer security, and safety training.
- Assist with testing and piloting new IT services and tools.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the 525.3 Level
- Provide advanced technical analysis and troubleshooting skills, attention to detail, and consistent resolution of IT problems.
- Identify, analyze, and document trending issues that are affecting the Service Desk and report to the appropriate service providers and/or management, including scripting repetitive tasks to help improve call duration and wait times.
- Develop, modify, or utilize advanced work methods to support Windows, Mac OS X operating system and the core operating environment, Microsoft Office 365 Cloud and encryption tools including software.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate’s degree in a Computer or Engineering related field or the equivalent combination of education, technical training and related experience.
- Experience working with customers, addressing issues, and managing customer concerns and requests over the phone and/or in person.
- Experience with the Windows and Macintosh Operating systems.
- Experience troubleshooting, analyzing, and resolving moderately complex IT problems with a focus on details to ensure follow-through to assure problems are resolved.
- Experience writing technical solutions and commercial knowledgebase articles.
- Ability to achieve and maintain a high level of technical proficiency.
- Experience and knowledge of the skills needed for a customer support role to include a focus on listening, rapport-building, good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with individuals with all levels of technical and non-technical skill sets, friendly and approachable nature, and courtesy and patience.
- Strong active listening, typing, and documentation skills and specifically, the ability to type by touch.
Additional Qualifications at the 525.3 Level
- Ability to identify and document trending and/or systemic issues and consider/propose resolutions to the responsible service providers.
- Advanced analytical and troubleshooting skills, attention to detail, and consistent resolution of IT problems.
- Ability to script repetitive tasks to help improve call duration and wait times.
- Experience using the ServiceNow (or similar) ticket management tool.
- Experience working at a service desk and/or call center.
- Experience supporting Unix or Linux.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now