Refine Search Clear All
IT Project Manager
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have two openings for Project Managers. You will be responsible for leading multi-disciplinary teams in information technology (IT) projects and will interact with Program Leaders, Associate Program Leaders, Technical Staff, and customers including steering committees and project review panels to define project scope, project management approaches, cost, schedule, and to execute and report status of projects. These positions are within the Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO).You will take programmatic direction from the Director of the Livermore Information Technology (LivIT) Project Management Office (PMO) and will report administratively to the Computing Directorate’s Enterprise Application Services Division Leader.
- Lead and motivate project teams to accomplish complex technical efforts to define scope, requirements, estimate, design, and implement each assigned project.
- Responsible for meeting functional criteria, negotiate requirements and limitations, deliver project on schedule and within cost objectives, and conduct project reviews.
- Prepare, maintain and manage project management plans, budgets/estimates, project authorization requests, project change control actions, monthly status reports and documentation suitable for audit review both during and after completion of project
- Communicate project status to project teams, resolve issues, maintain project file, and recommend addition, expansion, or discontinuance of project scope to ensure successful completion of the project.
- Develop and deliver project proposals and presentations to a broad audience of customers, stakeholders, and senior managers.
- Facilitate and build consensus to drive business outcomes for the project.
- Administer and manage the project portfolio tool and assist the PMO Director with the management of the IT metrics framework, collection, and monthly reporting of LivIT KPIs.
- Assist in driving the processes and the maturity of the project management discipline across LivIT.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In addition, at the TSS.4 level
- Serve as the technical leader and expert on large projects and recommend solutions to highly complex issues and requirements from program customers and stakeholders to accomplish program goals through IT projects.
- Manage a collection of significantly integrated and related projects of high strategic scope and visibility.
- Mentor peers and less experienced team members in project management principles and practices
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Engineering, or related field, or equivalent level of education and related experience.
- Professional certification in related areas such as the Project Management Professional (PMP) designation from the Project Management Institute (PMI), or equivalent certification, or equivalent level of experience.
- Significant experience in IT project management including project planning, scheduling, cost estimating, and baseline control.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience with the use of project management methodologies and tools, such as Microsoft Project.
- Experience facilitiating and conducting technical project reviews, preparing and maintaining budgets, and utilizing analytical, process flow, problem solving, customer relationship, organization, and conflict resolution skills.
- Significant experience applying advanced analytical and problem-solving skills to independently recommend actions and solutions.
- Proven ability to work independently under minimal direction as a highly motivated, self-directed individual and collaboratively as part of a cohesive team.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, and provide advice to program management and stakeholders.
In addtion, at TSS.4 level
- Subject matter expertise and knowledge of project management principles, practices, methodologies and tools as required for the project management of complex IT development projects.
- Expert verbal and written communication, facilitation and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain and advise senior management.
- Substantial experience directing projects, strategy, and leading teams.
- Experience working in project management at a national laboratory or an equivalent environment.
- Familiarity with Laboratory policies, processes, personnel, programs, and active mission areas.
- Experience leveraging Agile project management; as well as experience with the Atlassian Toolset (Jira, Confluence) and ServiceNow.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now