Refine Search Clear All
Linux Systems Architect
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Linux Systems Architect to provide technical computer support for systems in a heterogeneous enterprise environment to solve a variety of moderately complex technical problems in a timely manner. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division in the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Design, develop, and implement shared services, workflows and processes on premises (VMware), using containers (Docker/Kubernetes) and /or Cloud infrastructure including AWS (e.g., EC2, EBS, S3, etc.) or Azure.
- Work cross-functionally to create and document requirements, develop, and deliver solutions.
- Provide systems and public/private cloud expertise across the organization for addressing operational issues as well as supporting engineering activities.
- Design, develop, and implement system applications and infrastructure services including hardware integration, configuration, and software development.
- Modify and maintain existing operating systems, applications and infrastructure.
- Define and document requirements for hardware and software upgrades on platform system components.
- Identify deficiencies in current system designs and recommend solutions. Identify system scaling limitations and recommend and implement improvements.
- Investigate, evaluate, and recommend emerging technologies to improve service, reduce cost, and improve scalability.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Manage multiple advanced parallel tasks and priorities of customers and stakeholders to ensure deadlines are met, while leveraging team members’ skills.
- Apply in-depth technical expertise to solve complex technical problems and develop solutions using judgment in determining methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria.
- Develop tools and procedures to facilitate complex automation efforts as well as cross-platform/environment monitoring solutions.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business Administration with a concentration in Computer Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience (e.g., approximately 7+ years).
- Experience with Linux fundamentals including TCP/IP networking and common infrastructure services (DNS, DHCP, SNMP, NTP, HTTP, LDAP, Kerberos, Radius, SMTP).
- Experience with configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible).
- Experience with software performance tuning, configuration optimization, packaging (RPM), and systems integration.
- Experience programming with scripting languages (e.g., Perl, Python, Shell, PHP).
- Experience with virtualization technologies including hypervisors (e.g., Xen, KVM) containers (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes), and Public Cloud technologies (e.g., Azure/AW) including security, compliance, and automation.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to participate in quarterly weekend and off-hour support for outages.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Significant experience in all phases of the software development lifecycle.
- Significant experience with security and configuration standards (CIS, STIGs or equivalent).
- Experience as a technical project leader.
- Database installation and management experience (e.g., MySQL, MariaDB, Oracle, PostgreSQL).
- Professional Certifications (e.g., VMware VCA or VCP-DCV, CompTIA A+, RedHat RHCSA, Ansible AWS).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now