Refine Search Clear All
Desktop Support Technician
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 04/15/2021
Job Code: 593.2 Systems & Network Technologist / 593.3 Systems & Network Sr. Technl
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Computer Support Technician to provide computer support for unclassified and/or classified systems in a heterogeneous environment to solve a variety of complex technical problems in a timely manner. You will be responsible for installing, configuring, securing and maintaining systems, as well as loading layered products and troubleshooting system problems. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division in the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Install new computer system hardware and upgrades.
- Install and configure printers and other peripherals.
- Install and configure operating systems, computer security and applications software.
- Secure computer systems and monitor to ensure that they are in compliance with Department of Energy (DOE) – mandated orders.
- Diagnose and resolve moderately complex system, printer, and network problems.
- Provide technical assistance to the user community.
- Maintain appropriate technology, computer security, and safety training.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 593.3 level
Perform complex installations and configurations.
Diagnose and resolve complex system and network-related problems.
Provide advanced technical assistance to the user community.
- Associate’s Degree in a computer-related field or equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- General working knowledge of desktop and/or server computer hardware and operating systems (viz., Mac OS and/or Windows OS).
- Experience and knowledge of administering, troubleshooting, maintaining, and repairing Apple and/or Windows computer systems.
- Experience with and knowledge of the skills needed for a customer support role to include a focus on listening, rapport-building, good communication skills, friendly and approachable nature, and courtesy and patience.
- Effective interpersonal and verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to interact with customers and team members.
- Experience with and knowledge of Mac and/or Windows computer security protocols to manage user accounts, as well as control and monitor access.
Additional qualifications at the 593.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of Mac and/or Windows operating systems and associated computer hardware.
- Significant experience developing tools and utilities.
- Significant experience resolving complex system and network-related problems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Professional computer certification (e.g., MCSA, MCSE, CompTIA A+, ACSP).
- Experience securing computer systems, writing security plans, and monitoring activity to ensure compliance with DOE mandated orders.
- General working knowledge of network hardware, software, protocols, and principles.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.