Refine Search Clear All
Field Environmental Analyst
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 06/21/2022
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Field Environmental Analyst to support our Integrated Safety Teams within the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate. You will provide comprehensive environmental compliance support to various LLNL programs, as well as provide support and guidance to other ES&H team members in the area of environmental compliance.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Recommend sound environmental protection practices to programs and directorates throughout the Laboratory.
- Analyze, interpret and document local, state and federal environmental regulations.
- Analyze and assess waste storage, treatment, and disposal practices to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal waste laws, rules and regulations as well as LLNL standards.
- Conduct moderate to complex environmental analyses and assessments of operations and facilities throughout LLNL to identify potential environmental issues, alternatives for control or corrective action, and negotiate, recommend and implement solutions.
- Write and review technical reports and prepare environmental documents and assist in developing and presenting courses and presentations on environmental topics.
- Review environmental sample results and make applicable recommendations to the program to control environmental aspects and mitigate consequences of releases.
- Provide emergency response support to environmental incidents on site.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.3 level
- Provide advanced environmental support to LLNL programs in specific areas of assignment.
- Conduct complex environmental analyses and assessments of operations and facilities throughout LLNL to identify potential environmental issues, alternatives for control or corrective action, and negotiate, recommend and implement solutions.
- Mentor less-experienced team members in best practices, procedures, and activities.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- BA/BS degree in chemistry, environmental sciences, environmental engineering or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Previous relevant experience in environmental compliance with comprehensive knowledge of local, state and federal rules and regulations and providing emergency response and remediation support.
- Experience conducting assessment and inspection activities, performing pre-inspection audits, and participating in the investigation of incidents or accidents involving environmental hazards.
- Experience analyzing, interpreting and assessing compliance with moderately complex environmental regulations and recommending solutions.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate technical information to all levels of management both internal and external to the Laboratory, including regulatory agencies and key stakeholders.
- Analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for moderately complex problems.
- Effective organizational skills with attention to detail necessary to handle multiple moderately complex tasks in a demanding environment with conflicting priorities, tight and changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service and good follow through.
- Experience working independently and in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting schedules.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 level
- Significant experience in environmental compliance with advanced knowledge of local, state and federal rules and regulations; providing emergency response and remediation support; participating in the investigation of incidents or accidents involving environmental hazards; and conducting assessment and inspection activities.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate complex technical information to all levels of management, both internal and external to the Laboratory, including regulatory agencies and key stakeholders.
- Advanced analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for complex problems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in chemistry, environmental sciences, environmental engineering or related field.
- Familiarity with the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), California Hazardous Waste Control Law (HWCL), Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), radioactive waste management, medical waste requirements and Department of Transportation waste regulations.
- Experience with providing environmental compliance support to construction projects or research and development projects.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.