Refine Search Clear All
Electric Utility Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/09/2022
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Electric Utility Engineer. You will perform a variety of senior-level engineering, planning, design, protection, maintenance, operations, construction, and modification activities on the transmission, substation, and distribution facilities (115kV, 13.8kV, 12kV, and 4kV) serving the LLNL Main Site and Site 300 (located in Tracy, California). This position is in the Electric Utility Division within the Infrastructure Maintenance and Utilities Department.
In this role you will
- Identify short and long-range electric utility system capability deficiencies by analyzing complex system component capability and projected load growth. Provide economic and timely solutions for system reinforcements to eliminate identified system capability deficiencies and to maintain LLNL’s electric utility systems service reliability and quality goals.
- Conduct electric utility system load-flow studies and economic studies to support engineering recommendations.
- Analyze electric utility system protection requirements and make protection scheme recommendations for transmission lines, substations, metal-clad switchgear, and distribution circuits. Set and coordinate all protective relays and provide supporting fault-duty studies.
- Develop and implement electric utility system equipment maintenance and system operations procedures and standards.
- Review and approve electric utility system equipment test reports, as-built switchgear drawings, system one-line diagrams, associated system drawings, and Switching Orders to ensure system load parameters are within limits during abnormal circuit configurations.
- Monitor existing electric utility system parameters and provide engineering recommendations to maintain the system within allowable limits.
- Perform electric utility system arc-flash assessments and determine appropriate in-field personal protective equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering (power systems concentration) or an equivalent combination of education and related experience, and professional registration as an Electrical Engineer in the State of California or reciprocity from another state within 12 months.
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience in electric utility substation and distribution system engineering, maintenance, and operations; significant knowledge of electric utility distribution system switchgear; ability to read electric utility system drawings (one-lines, three-lines, schematics, etc.).
- Significant experience in electric utility system safe work practices in accordance with the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC).
- Advanced knowledge of California Public Utility Commission General Orders 95 and 128, and other applicable codes and standards (IEEE C37, C57, etc.); knowledge of the National Electrical Code, NFPA 70E, and IEEE 1584.
- Advanced knowledge of electric utility system analysis software (SKM Power Tools preferred) to perform load-flow, fault-duty, protective device coordination, and arc-flash studies; experience performing engineering economic studies and making recommendations to management and stakeholders.
- Ability using AutoCAD to prepare design drawings; demonstrated ability using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment (with engineers, electricians, administrative staff, project management, and construction personnel) and present and explain technical information to management.
- Proven ability to provide superior and effective customer service.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.