Refine Search Clear All
Photonics/Laser Electro-Optics Technologists (LEOT)
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/09/2022
Job Code: 531.2 Technologist-Electronics / 531.3 Sr Technologist-Electronics
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Photonics/Laser Electro-Optics Technologists. You will work in a multidisciplinary team to develop, deploy and maintain complex laser systems in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Directorate (NIF & PS). These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Provide general technical support in the design, development, and installation of new moderately complex laser/optical systems under general supervision.
- Perform maintenance, operations, repairs, and upgrades of existing systems.
- Generate and maintain system documentation including operations procedures and optical configuration drawings.
- Perform periodic maintenance activities on diagnostics.
- Collaborate with Physics and Engineering staff to perform developmental and experimental setups.
- Acquire moderately complex data using computer-based data acquisition and controls.
- Produce supportive documentation and graphics using drafting, design, engineering, and scientific programs on computer systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 531.3 level
- Analyze complex system performance of high energy laser technology and processes and present data to a peer review team with recommendations.
- Interpret requirements for opto-mechanical assemblies, precision laser alignment and tolerancing of laser/optical systems.
- Serve as a technical lead for engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in Electrical Engineering Technology, Laser Electro-Optics, Physics or the equivalent combination of education and prior relevant experience.
- Experience in moderately complex electronic assembly.
- Intermediate skills and knowledge of electro-mechanical technology, including general electronics background in both theory and design while applying the knowledge of electronics, software, instrumentation and controls, or electro-optic theory and ability to solve circuitry or system challenges.
- Experience in electronic design, fabrication, and opto-mechanical mechanisms.
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
- Experience working effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Effective written, verbal, and presentation communication skills.
Additional qualifications at the 531.3 level
- Advanced skills and understanding of high energy laser technology and processes with the ability to design complex systems and solutions to problems under minimal supervision.
- Advanced skills with opto-mechanical assemblies, precision laser alignment and tolerancing. High-level technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Advanced skills and understanding of photonics/laser technologies and experience working on a technical project team and providing technical direction to others.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with engineering software tools such as SolidWorks, CREO, LabView or MATLAB.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.