Refine Search Clear All
Electronics Technologist, Target Diagnostic Operator for NIF&PS
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/09/2022
Job Code: 531.2 Technologist-Electronics
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
The National Ignition Facility (NIF) is seeking talented and self‐motivated Electronics Technologists for the Target Diagnostic Operations team. NIF is the world’s most powerful and energetic laser. You will be responsible for precision assembly, alignment, testing, documentation, troubleshooting, evaluation, operation, and maintenance for moderately complex experimental, research, and prototype equipment associated with electronic and/or photonics systems within the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate.
NIF is a 24/7 operational facility, and the Target Diagnostic Operators typically work on a 3 day week/12 hr-4 day week/12 hr schedule to support operations, with the last two hours of each shift being overtime. The dayshift work hours are from 06:30-19:30 and the owl shift hours are from 18:30-07:30. Dayshifts work either Sunday-Tuesday and every other Wednesday, or Thursday to Saturday and every other Wednesday. Owl shifts work either Sunday to Tuesday and every other Saturday night or Wednesday to Friday and every other Saturday night.
Some work will occur in Radiological environments and the candidate will get trained prior to having access to those areas. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Assemble, align, test and document moderately complex electronic and/or photonics components and experimental systems involving continuous wave and pulsed lasers, oscilloscopes, camera systems, power supplies, diagnostic and control instrumentation, and associated hardware.
- Support the setup and operation of a large complex laser facility, including the configuration, execution, and data acquisition of complex laser plasma interaction experiments.
- Acquire and analyze data and provide solutions and alternate approaches to moderately complex problems using individual creativity and judgment while working under general supervision.
- Prepare and work from instructional guides for repairing, calibrating, operating, and maintaining equipment and systems.
- Perform routine maintenance and troubleshooting of equipment.
- Provide technical support to engineering tests, physics experiments, and program operations.
- Acquire and analyze basic data and test results using known performance parameters to report results and identify problems.
- Working with large computer control system, through a graphical user interface, to operate and maintain a large, complex laser experimental facility.
- Provide input for documentation of system operation and test procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in an engineering technology such as Laser and Electro-Optics, Mechanical or Electrical Technologies, or equivalent combination of education and experience related to the essential skills, knowledge, and abilities below.
- Experience with and intermediate skills in moderately complex diagnostic instrumentation used in a scientific research laboratory (oscilloscopes, interferometers, spectrometers, photometers, multimeters, etc.).
- Intermediate skills and experience in moderately complex electronic and/or photonics troubleshooting and assembly.
- Experience with some aspect of electronic and/or photonics assembly; including troubleshooting, installation, and maintenance in a large, multi-beam laser system in the areas of beam alignment, cryogenic operations, laser operations, conventional, or process utilities.
- Technical background that provides ability to learn computer control and data acquisition systems or similar large systems, including an understanding of remote control of devices using computer-based systems or remote hardware.
- Ability to recognize and decipher technical data.
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
- Experience in time-critical and complex organization and activities.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. in a safe and controlled manner.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with precision mechanical assembly, alignment, and testing.
- Experience using complex computer control and data acquisition systems utilized in the remote control of opto‐mechanical devices.
- Experience working within a nuclear, military, or highly technical laboratory environment .
- Ability to work on complex systems including optical, electrical, and mechanical.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.