Refine Search Clear All
Light Matter Interaction - Research Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 04/20/2022
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term or Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Either no clearance, DOE L or Q clearance depending on assignment. Clearances require U.S. citizenship and a background investigation. Uncleared positions over 179 days may require an investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have openings for Materials Scientists, Physicists, or Chemists to work independently on light matter interactions with emphases on laser damage science, laser propagation, and materials characterization. You will be an integral member of an interdisciplinary team responsible for conducting and supporting research to develop applications of high fluence, high energy and high peak power lasers. This position is in the Laser Material Interaction Science group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Design and conduct complex experiments related to laser effects including laser damage and growth, laser beam propagation, and/or laser-based diagnostics and characterization.
- Conduct advanced research toward multi-modal characterization of laser matter interactions.
- Serve as the primary technical contact on the design and analysis of experimental tests to understand and apply laser matter interactions.
- Provide direction on complex program requirements and deliverables for DOE and internal sponsors.
- Convey capabilities and new opportunities to DOE and internal sponsors.
- Exert significant influence on technical objectives related to high energy laser systems for national security needs.
- Develop and present written analyses and verbal briefings that capture and communicate research results as well as periodic progress reports.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- If selected for an L- or Q-level clearance, must have the ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE L- or Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in optical system design and building or using complex optical layouts.
- Significant experience with one of the following: laser material processing techniques (i.e., environment-controlled laser processing) using various laser (CW, ns, ps, and fs) systems, laser beam propagation, laser material characterization methods (i.e., time-resolved PL, pump probe).
- Advanced knowledge in fundamentals of non-linear optical interactions (i.e., SHG, self-focusing, etc.).
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, execution, and analysis.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written reports, explain technical information, and provide advice to management.
- Advanced interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff within a collaborative research environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in using class 4 lasers, optics system layout, and construction.
- Experience in wavelength, time, and spatial multiplexing schemes.
- Experience with computer software for instrumentation design and control.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite or At Will appointment. Only Laboratory employees with Career Indefinite or At Will status may apply for this position. If final candidate is an At Will employee, At Will status may be maintained based on funding considerations.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires either no security clearance, or a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or Q-level clearance depending on the particular assignment.
If you are selected and a security clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L and Q-level clearances require U.S. citizenship.
If no security clearance is required, but your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.