Refine Search Clear All
Weapons Production Group Senior Quality Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/14/2022
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Weapons Production Group (WPG) Senior Quality Engineers. You will support new and on-going activities in support of the weapon system surveillance and production operations. These positions are administratively in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED)/Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program, supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced direction to Product Realization Team (PRT) members on Product Realization Process (PRP) activities ensuring work on weapon, weapon related, and surveillance product is executed per WTE procedures, NNSA Weapon Quality Policy NAP 401.1, and the requirements of Defense Programs Business Process Systems (DPBPS).
- Represent WTE as a primary quality contact when interacting with Design Agency (DA) and Production Agency (PA) staff Designers, SMEs, Engineers, Quality Engineers, and Management on complex multi-site issues.
- Conduct technical tasks, projects, and support research as a core member on multiple PRTs providing quality related expertise on design intent, quality assurance functions, production, surveillance, configuration management and writing clear concise requirements.
- Follow standard practices and procedures per NNSA requirements and DA quality standards to guide PRTs, reviewing and critiquing documentation including part defining product definition drawings (CAD), related engineering support documents, material specifications and process specification requirements to ensure appropriate documentation is generated, released, and maintained in support of the PRT/PRP activities.
- Utilize proper judgment within broadly defined NNSA policies and WPG practices to develop PRT solutions that meet NNSA requirements.
- Present and explain technical information maintaining clear and concise communication between Design and Production Agencies in support of programmatic mission.
- Perform in a group leadership role and/or oversee the activities of other WPG personnel.
- Provide training and guidance to peers as well as less-experienced personnel on DTED/WTE processes, NAP 401.1 and DPBPS requirements for engineering, scientific, and technical staff at Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE) Design and Production Agency locations.
- Direct and perform the Engineering Evaluations (EEs) in accordance with DPBPS-T077, T076, T046 and LLNL standards to ensure the PRT EE activities are conducted per NNSA and DA requirements. Observe and verify the implementation of requirements, repeatable fabrication, inspection, assembly, and surveillance processes as an independent Quality Engineer assessor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.4 level
- Use Subject Matter Expert (SME) level knowledge of DPBPS and PRP concepts, to independently direct PRTs as a technical leader on the PRP and DPBPS. Provide solutions to highly complex issues/problems where a high degree of ambiguity exists, and solutions require in-depth analysis of written requirements and logical best practices.
- Routinely interact with engineering staff, management, and NNSA across and outside the Laboratory on advanced technical and business areas related to Weapon and Weapon related projects. Serve as the WPG spokesperson on specialized projects or programs. Act as the prime quality consultant on large PRTs projects.
- Frequently mentor peers as well as less experienced engineering, scientific, and technical staff on DTED/WTE processes, NAP 401.1 and DPBPS requirements.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or related field; Associate degree in Engineering Technology with significant related experience; or equivalent combination of education and extensive related experience needed to successfully perform in the position.
- Advanced knowledge in engineering design/drafting, ASME Y14.5M, fabrication, assembly techniques and materials, material properties, manufacturing methods, theory, manufacturing, or inspection processes.
- Advanced knowledge of Weapon or Weapon Related design, materials, fabrication, assembly, product realization process, production drawings, NNSA Weapon Quality Policy, Technical Business Practices, Defense Programs Business Process System, or Engineering Authorizations.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills and experience participating in engineering testing operations, analyzing results, writing reports, and creating presentations, and conducting and participating in design reviews.
- Ability to provide solutions to complex issues/problems applying advanced principals of standard practices and procedures. Use a high degree of independent judgement to oversee technical teams, clearly articulate, enforce, and interpret design intent and requirements.
- Ability to provide mentoring of less-experienced personnel.
- Ability to travel to meet programmatic milestones.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.4 level
- Significant relevant experience with highly advanced design, fabrication, and assembly techniques directly applicable to material, components, systems, equipment and PRTs.
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) experience developing conceptual designs of mechanical/electronic systems, testing prototypes and associated diagnostics, experience with CAD/computer design packages or PRTs.
- Expert verbal and written communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills to effectively lead a team, and present, explain and advise senior management and external sponsors on solutions to a diverse range of complex issues/problems that require analysis and expert level application of highly advanced concepts and/or best practices in innovative ways.
- Ability to frequently mentor peers as well as less experienced personnel, leading, directing, and guiding staff to fulfill programmatic deliverables.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced knowledge of materials, equipment, or technologies associated with production of mechanical hardware, electronics, additive manufacturing, and QA/QC documentation skills.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in nuclear weapons program stockpile systems, components, classified materials, experimental data, and related diagnostic and testing equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of Windchill CREO and Altium.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.