Refine Search Clear All
Electrical Engineer Modeler and Experimentalist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/07/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a high-performance electrostatic modeler and experimentalist within the Embedded Weapon Systems Development (EWSD) group. You will provide a critical function to ensure that all components for current and future systems are safe to electrostatic insults. You will analyze the system for electrostatic performance and provide modeling software and hardware configurations that can provide evidence of how the system will respond under these stress conditions. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED) and will be supporting the Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Support the development, maintenance, and usage of high-performance electrostatic modeling software for safety-critical applications.
- Safely perform high voltage electrostatic experiments measuring high speed current, voltages, electric fields, and charge.
- Model electrostatic systems using circuit-based and physics-based models to determine propagation of charge, voltage, and fields.
- Contribute to group knowledge of electrostatic phenomena through expertise in the field of electrostatics.
- Contribute to the modeling and understanding of lightning and its effects on components within the weapon systems.
- Develop proposals for new electrostatic research and evaluation areas that could improve future and current manufacturing issues response.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Develop long term electrostatic and high voltage component testing plans that can help reduce production concerns on current and future weapon systems.
- Shape the expansion of LLNL’s capabilities in participating in designing and advancing a world class lab with the latest equipment that allows for comprehensive, reliable, reproducible high voltage experiments.
- Further the development of the modeling software and independently apply it to solve important problems in electrostatic system.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Ability to work independently in a lab or with other team members as appropriate and document experiments and modeling work.
- Ability to critically evaluate technical problems, communicate, and discuss solutions with group members prioritizing activities in a multitask oriented environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge and broad experience in electrical, optical, or physical modeling using tools such as ZEMAX, CODE V, PSPICE, COMSOL.
- Experience in high voltage and/or pulse power supply design.
- Experience in printed circuit board schematic design, layout and testing.
- Experience in software development tools such as Mathematica, Matlab, Scilab, C, Java and/or Labview.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in reading and interpreting mechanical, electrical, and electro-optical specifications using drawings, datasheets, and procedure manuals.
- Experience monitoring performance required to meet programmatic milestones and deliverables and to positively represent the Program and the Laboratory.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Understanding of Electro Magnetic Compatibility/Electro Magnetic Interference (EMC/EMI) evaluation and design for automotive and aerospace applications, including MIL-STD-461 and MIL-STD-704.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.