Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Microwave/RF Engineer capable of applying commercial and in-house simulation tools for analysis and design in support of our national security missions. You will be responsible for using your engineering judgement and modeling experience for a wide variety of projects including the areas of: high-power microwave, antenna design, Radio Frequency (RF) Electromagnetics, and radar modeling. This position is in the Computational Electromagnetics Group of the Computational Engineering Division (CED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide electromagnetics knowledge to interdisciplinary teams, work under general supervision, assist in determining own tasks and milestones, consult on experimental design, analyze, and recommend solutions, using industry-standard modeling tools such as Ansys HFSS and FEKO, and run and modify in-house simulation tools on world-leading supercomputers.
- Contribute subject matter electromagnetics (EM) expertise to multidisciplinary teams.
- Improve in-house parallel radar simulation tools for application to missile defense problems.
- Develop computational tools and techniques for analyzing full-wave electromagnetics problems.
- Organize and analyze data from research, present results at technical meetings and national conferences, and publish novel research results in peer-reviewed literature.
- Provide engineering solutions for research projects with competing priorities, implement research concepts in a multidisciplinary team environment where commitments and deadlines are important to project success.
- Conduct research in high frequency electromagnetics, radio frequency circuits, or wireless technology to enable the development of new state-of-the-art systems for Laboratory-relevant applications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Serve as a project leader for analysis and design projects.
- Balance management of multiple projects/tasks and priorities of customers to ensure deadlines are met.
- Perform advanced research in at least one of the following areas: computational electromagnetics, radar modeling, and RF propagation modeling.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Physics, or closely related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: high frequency electromagnetics/antenna design, radar system modelling, radio frequency circuits, wireless communications, wireless systems.
- Experience in design, simulation, and experimental execution for electromagnetic/RF systems.
- Proficiency with commercial electromagnetic simulation tools such as HFSS, FEKO, COMSOL, CST Microwave Studio.
- Proficiency with radio frequency and/or circuit simulation tools such as ADS, Altium, LTSpice.
- Experience with software development using C/C++/Fortran90 in UNIX environment.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills necessary to prepare and present papers, reports, proposals, and document results to your team.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Ability to develop and conduct independent research projects with minimal guidance.
- Subject matter expert knowledge in EMP/electromagnetic compatibility, radar simulation, or RF analysis and design.
- Significant experience as a project manager of principal investigator for electromagnetics-related efforts.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Engineering, Physics, or closely related field.
- Experience with high power systems and/or design approaches for electromagnetic compatibility.
- Experience with RF transceiver design for wireless communication including use of FPGAs and/or software defined radios.
- Experience with system level modeling and/or simulation for wireless systems.
- Experience with techniques for interference mitigation and array synchronization.
- Ability to design, implement, and analyze techniques for distributed arrays.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.