Refine Search Clear All
Project Engineer - Materials Engineering Division
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: TSS.1 Technical Services & Ops MTS 1 / TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Project Engineers to ensure projects are executed efficiently and in compliance with requirements. You will be a trusted resource to our projects to help successfully navigate through a diverse range of laws, regulations and requirements in broad facility types, security levels and projects while working closely with senior management, external vendors, regulators, reviewers, and stakeholders on various projects. You will be responsible for the organization and cost-effective utilization of work force, equipment, and materials. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Gather engineering, technical, and functional requirements that are well defined from multiple stakeholders to develop detailed designs, project scope, costs, schedules, and risk mitigation in support of engineering efforts with relatively low complexity.
- Provide in-person direction of activities at LLNL’s Site 300, a non-nuclear explosives test facility that supports Livermore Laboratory’s national security mission.
- Monitor defined project schedules by tracking project progress and providing regular updates to Project Leader regarding milestones; develop plans for relatively low complexity resourcing/ technical problems that could significantly affect costs or schedules.
- Prepare supporting health and safety documentation that is aligned with the Integrated Safety Management (ISM) requirements and participate in design and Management Prestart Reviews.
- Develop and maintain supporting financial documentation using LLNL’s financial planning and tracking software, ensuring projects stay on budget.
- Collaborate with mission support organizations in operations and business (O&B), environmental safety and health (ES&H), and science, technology, and engineering (ST&E) to ensure successful project execution.
- Implement project interfaces with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.2 level
- Gather engineering, technical, and functional requirements that are broadly defined from multiple stakeholders to develop detailed designs, project scope, costs, schedules, and risk mitigation in support of moderately complex to complex engineering efforts.
- Monitor defined project schedules by tracking project progress and providing regular updates to Project Leader regarding milestones, develop plans and moderately complex to complex resourcing/ technical problems that could significantly affect costs or schedules.
- Apply engineering and technical knowledge to develop and implement rigorous project management methods and tools to ensure successful execution of projects including establishing priorities and performing workforce resourcing analysis.
- Represent the engineering team on technical and administrative reviews that assess moderately complex to complex experiments.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or science related discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and prior relevant experience.
- Experience and/or fundamental knowledge with project management, project engineering, or project planning experience including scope, schedule, cost, and quality.
- Experience and/or fundamental knowledge in scheduling, change control, including use of project management tools and prior experience using Microsoft Office tools to successfully execute technical projects.
- Experience developing and implementing solutions to a complex problems under general direction.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to coordinate low to moderate work and milestones on multiple simultaneous projects effectively.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.2 level
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience working with broadly defined technical requirements.
- Experience working independently, providing advice on issues of advanced complexity which may also include providing mentorship to others.
- Experience with monitoring performance required to meet programmatic milestones and deliverables including providing guidance for corrective actions where necessary.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.