Refine Search Clear All
Nondestructive Evaluation Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Nondestructive Evaluation Engineers within the Nondestructive Evaluation Group (NDE). You will guide focused characterization campaigns and perform research using experimental tools and analytical methods to understand structure and properties of components which are often topologically complex and heterogeneous. You will work with characterization techniques including interrogation with x-rays and neutrons (with an emphasis on computed tomography), acoustic (ultrasonic) signals, and electromagnetic signals at microwave and lower frequencies. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Guide NDE activities and conduct research and development in novel approaches for complex x-ray imaging, computed tomography and metrology, ultrasound, optical, eddy current, dielectric, or microwave characterization, identifying appropriate nondestructive evaluation techniques to solve inspection problems.
- Analyze complex data from nondestructive evaluation tests including digital radiography, computed tomography, eddy current, and RF/microwave measurements.
- Perform simulations of x-ray, optical, ultrasound, eddy current or microwave characterization scenarios; perform finite element analysis as needed.
- Work closely with engineers, technicians, and scientists from LLNL, partner organizations and sponsors in all aspects of structural characterization.
- Provide in-person support of activities at LLNL’s Site 300, a non-nuclear explosives test facility that supports Livermore Laboratory’s national security mission, as well as activities at other NNSA Site including Pantex, Savannah River National Laboratory (SRNL), the Kansas City National Security Campus (KCNSC) the Nevada National Security Site (NNSS).
- Develop and lead small teams consisting of engineers, scientists and technicians.
- Organize, analyze and, present research data results to sponsors, technical community, and management.
- Prepare and present proposals for new projects to Lab management and subject matter experts.
- Pursue independent research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Develop programs and expand capabilities within the NDE group to enable programmatically relevant measurements to be made.
- Lead LLNL staff and collaborators to address complex NDE problems using analytical and experimental tools.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Materials Science or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge in one or more of the following: x-ray imaging, computed tomography and metrology, ultrasound, optical measurements, eddy current, dielectric, or microwave characterization.
- Comprehensive knowledge of nondestructive evaluation processes and concepts and ability to demonstrate full competency.
- Experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Experience performing independent work with technical objectives and ability to meet schedule and deliverables for multiple concurrent projects with a range of priorities.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Master’s degree or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Materials Science or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Significant experience with and advanced knowledge of one or more of the following areas: x-ray imaging, acoustics and ultrasound, signal processing, image processing, eddy current, microwave characterization, radar processing, computed tomography, or reconstruction methods.
- Significant range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution, including analytical techniques.
- Ability to develop independent research projects under minimal direction.
- Experience leading and setting technical direction for a multidisciplinary team.
- Successful publication of scientific and/or technical peer-reviewed literature.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now