Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Technologist/Senior Mechanical Technologist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/05/2022
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Technologist/Senior Mechanical Technologist. You will support ongoing programmatic activities. You will support the plastics group in the processing of plastic and elastomeric components for projects utilizing various materials and processes. You will design parts, program, and operate an NC router station to fabricate parts. Under general supervision, you will provide general mechanical support in plastics/polymer design and fabrication activities using original and innovative solutions to problems to achieve programmatic goals. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Design, prepare, and fabricate moderately complex plastic components.
- Design and set up equipment and perform casting, potting, coating, encapsulation, and bonding operations.
- Operate and maintain numerically controlled router.
- Collaborate in a team to identify, evaluate, analyze, and provide solutions and alternate approaches to meet experimental requirements.
- Use design software to produce supportive documentation and graphics.
- Operate and maintain basic machine shop equipment (lathes, milling machines, drill press).
- Follow and adhere to written, operational, and safety procedures including practicing good housekeeping in experimental, work, and office areas and perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- Provide advanced design and fabrication support using appropriate materials and processes.
- Interact directly with physicists, engineers, scientists, and project leads to identify, evaluate, and analyze requirements and processes.
- Set priorities, schedules, and manpower requirements to solve complex mechanical and operational problems.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Associate degree in engineering, mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing technology, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge of polymers and polymer manufacturing techniques.
- Experience operating and maintaining basic machine shop equipment (including numerically controlled) for general parts fabrication.
- Experience using SolidWorks 3D modeling, Mastercam software and Fagor NC Control.
- Knowledge of engineering principles for problem solving.
- Strong written and verbal skills necessary to communicate effectively.
- Experience with personal computers and associated software such a MS Office.
- Ability to work constructively in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of polymers and polymer manufacturing techniques.
- Significant experience operating and maintaining conventional and NC equipment.
- Experience with complex mechanical fabrication and assembly.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of mold and model making.
- Experience with cleanroom principles and operations.
- Experience with advance engineering hardware design, fabrication, evaluating, and testing processes.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now