Refine Search Clear All
Signal and Image Processing Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/25/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for a Signal and Image Processing Engineer. You will perform algorithm research, development, and implementation in the signal and image sciences. You will be responsible for the development and implementation of signal and image processing algorithms in software and/or hardware in support of Laboratory programs. Specific topics of interest include but are not limited to: state estimation and multitarget tracking; embedded systems for digital signal processing, image and video processing; machine learning; pattern analysis; control system design and analysis; communications and radar systems; nondestructive evaluation techniques; remote sensing; radiation detection; and similar topics associated with the signal and image sciences. These positions are in the Computational Engineering Division (CED), within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Research, develop, and apply solutions to problems in the signal and image science that are of programmatic interest.
- Implement algorithms in software and/or hardware as appropriate.
- Maintain a close interface with programmatic and project elements to ensure effective teamwork.
- Document efforts in technical reports, publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results at scientific meetings and conferences.
- Participate in field deployments, exercises and sponsor visits.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Write and present papers, reports, proposals, and document results and provide advice to management.
- Serve as primary technical contact on tasks and projects applying advanced technical knowledge and methodologies to guide successful completion of a project and meet organizational goals.
- Mentor junior staff to develop their capabilities in the signal and image sciences.
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering, statistics, mathematics or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in one or more topics within the signal and image sciences.
- Experience coding algorithms in C, C++, Matlab, Python, or similar language used in the signal and image sciences.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills enabling effective technical presentations and lucid technical reports.
- Collaboration skills that promote effective teaming environments.
- Ability to travel to customer locations and participate in field deployments and exercises.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience of one or more specialization topics within the signal and image sciences.
- Experience effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with contending priorities.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to present and explain technical information to sponsors and provide advice to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in electrical engineering, statistics, mathematics, or a closely related field.
- Experience in leading teams in the research, development, and implementation of signal and image processing algorithms.
- Experience in crafting successful research and development proposals in the signal and image sciences.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now Referral