Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 12/22/2022
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650.00 - $200,328.00 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for an atmospheric scientist to support emergency operations as part of the National Atmospheric Release Advisory Center (NARAC – http://narac.llnl.gov), a national support and resource center for emergency response and analysis of hazardous atmospheric releases. You will be part of an interdisciplinary team using the NARAC modeling suite to provide emergency and routine scientific support for users of NARAC. This position is in the Atmospheric Science Research and Applications group within the Atmospheric, Earth, and Energy Division of the Physical Life Science Directorate.
In this role you will
- Create atmospheric dispersion modeling calculations quickly and accurately using the NARAC modeling suite and provide solutions of moderate complexity.
- Provide consulting and regular, routine scientific support to and for users of NARAC, especially assessments of Lagrangian dispersion modeling results.
- Serve on the team for monthly on-call rotation in the NARAC Operations Center.
- Develop and document advanced standard operating procedures for the operations team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Ph.D. in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science, or closely related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience applying microscale, boundary layer, or air pollution meteorology theories to solve moderately complex problems.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact in a clear and concise manner and explain technical information.
- Initiative, interpersonal skills, and ability to work in a dynamic, sometimes fast-paced, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to occasionally travel to coordinate work with collaborators.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience working in an operational or emergency response role
- Experience with modeling radiological or nuclear hazards
- Experience running atmospheric dispersion models (e.g. AERMOD, CALPUFF, CMAQ, FLEXPART)
- Experience with object-oriented concepts and programming languages such as Python, Java, C++, Windows, JSON, Typescript
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Education Assistance
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.