Business Operations | livermore, CA | 02/12/2024
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$118,290 - $151,932 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We are seeking an experienced Project/Portfolio Manager to be an integral member of the Laboratory’s Transformation Team to assist with managing transformation portfolio projects. You will work with implementing laboratory organizations and portfolio managers to ensure effective execution related schedules, deliverables, requirements, risks and facilitate suitable project management techniques. This position is in the Director’s Office within the Transformation Office. This role is a 3-year appointment.
- Collaborate with senior project managers, technical leads, and other staff to strategically plan, coordinate, and facilitate lean portfolio management projects across the laboratory. Additionally, work closely with the same stakeholders to develop business requirements, comprehensive work proposals, business cases, statements of work, project plans, as well as conduct project risk assessments and develop effective mitigation plans.
- Apply comprehensive project management principles to multiple complex transformational projects and work cross-functionally to maintain functional project teams and work processes.
- Monitor progress of project milestones and impacts of change by working as a liaison between Transformation Team, Functional Area Managers, designated stakeholders, and laboratory leadership.
- Support the Deputy Transformation Manager in managing, planning, and executing scope, schedules, and budget for the Transformation Office. Actively manage projects via regular interaction with organizational project leads, portfolio managers and key stakeholders.
- Perform moderately complex analysis tasks independently, working towards goals and objectives. Maintain and present for change control or project intake meetings, track and complete follow-on actions, and document requirements, risks, and opportunities.
- Plan efforts requiring collaboration with multiple disciplines that may include developing business cases, project plans with task estimation and contributing to the annual transformation report that aligns with the transformation office goals and objectives.
- Use independent judgment to develop solutions on a diverse range of moderate to complex issues/problems that require analysis and creative use of established techniques and methods.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a US DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical area or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Knowledge of and experience with project management practices, such as project plan development and control, scope management, project scheduling, budget, risk and opportunity management, cost estimation and management, quality assurance, communications planning and management, and analytical business outlooks such as forecasting, cost/benefit analysis, and trending.
- Strong communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise stakeholders while extracting and capturing actionable requirements.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills with ability to work collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team, with internal and external stakeholders, coordinating work and goals on multiple simultaneous projects effectively.
- Ability to work and influence cross functionally.
- Proficient written and verbal communication and negotiation skills necessary to communicate with multidisciplinary team members and influence outcomes.
- Proficient problem-solving and decision-making skills necessary to advise, recommend actions, and implement solutions for moderate to complex issues.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience implementing a software system, and process efficiency.
- Proficient in Microsoft applications; teams, excel, and project.
- Experience with Power BI and Power Apps
- Experience with ServiceNow applications
- Familiarity with LLNL organizations and operating model
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years. If final candidate is a Career Indefinite employee, Career Indefinite status may be maintained (should funding allow).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now