Administrative Specialist for Laser Systems Engineering & Operations Division Office
Administrative | livermore, CA | 02/09/2024
Job Code: 405.4 Administrative Specialist IV
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$35.98 - $43.67 Hourly
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for an Administrative Specialist in a busy Engineering division office. The division office employs 700+ personnel who are matrixed to provide engineering support to the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF & PS) Directorate, home to the world’s most energetic laser. You will perform a full range of task-oriented administrative assignments related to the coordination of hiring activities, Recruiting Committee, and Science & Technology LDRD (Laboratory Directed Research Development) efforts. You will work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions and conflicting priorities. In addition to being well-organized and methodical, your strong organizational and communications skills will be needed to interact with a variety of multidisciplinary team members including daily interactions with the Hiring Administrators, Workforce Administrator, and First-line supervisors and Division Management Team. This position is in Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division Office of the Engineering Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Provide administrative support and coordination for hiring and recruitment activities including interview scheduling and applicant badging for onsite interviews, interviewee packets and evaluations forms, uploading job new listings and tracking applicant resumes, under minimal supervision.
- Assist in the coordination of hiring, onboarding and offboarding, internal and external hires, scholars, faculty, and supplemental labor personnel in cooperation with LSEO Hiring Team.
- Assist with compiling information for the processing of hire packages, inputting security clearance requests, and campus tour scheduling and/or tours of the National Ignition Facility.
- Partner with the LSEO LDRD/S&T Lead to review proposals from Principal Investigators to meet submission requirements. May involve collecting project performance metrics relating to technical progress and cost accrual to summarize LSEO’s portfolio.
- Establish and maintain complex databases, spreadsheets, and reports while also coordinating daily administrative operations for task responsibilities, making decisions of moderate to high impact on day-to-day operations.
- Respond to administrative inquiries from division management; coordinate special activities, projects, and meetings to implement these activities.
- Generate correspondence on own initiative and compose administrative or personnel material of a sensitive nature for signature.
- Support special projects within LSEO that may require research, training, initiative, and/or follow-up.
- Create administrative and scientific material including correspondence, documents, presentations, tables, charts, and reports.
- Arrange domestic and interviewee travel; process expense vouchers; take initiative to resolve issues that may be diverse and multi-faceted.
- Serve as a resource through sharing skills and knowledge with others; may provide training and mentoring to others on the team as needed. Be open to learning backup coverage for other administrative team members on the hiring-front, time-reporting, training plans, or personnel transactions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Advanced administrative experience compiling, tracking, monitoring, resolving, and reporting data and results with advanced organizational skills and experience working under minimal supervision, in an environment that requires multitasking of rapidly changing priorities, deadlines, and frequent interruptions.
- Advanced skills and experience including accurate keyboarding, editing, use of grammar, and proofreading skills involving coordination of tasks with a high consequence of error.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, accuracy, and follow-through.
- Ability to be self-motivated and flexible, exercising a high degree of discretion and mature judgment in handling complex business sensitive and personnel actions.
- Advanced computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel, for database and calendaring software, including the ability to learn new software quickly.
- Experience functioning effectively as a team member, as well as independently.
- Excellent written, interpersonal, and communication skills with the ability to handle confidential and sensitive hiring and personnel actions, internal and external to the Laboratory, with tact, discretion, and mature judgment while interacting effectively with all levels of personnel and providing advanced customer service.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with Smart Recruiters, Candidate Analysis Tool, LAPIS, ePay, LEAP, or other Lab-sponsored employee-interface platforms.
- Working knowledge of Laboratory policies and procedures; Engineering and NIF & PS Directorates.
- Knowledge of MS Teams and OneDrive applications.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now