Micro/Nanofabrication - Process Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/06/2024
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$132,810 - $170,556 Annually for the SES.2 level
$159,330 - $204,636 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Process Engineer with a background in one or more of the following areas: micro-electro-mechanical-systems (MEMS), semiconductor, micro/nano-fabrication processes, microfluidic devices, chemical/biological devices, and electronic devices. This role specifically is to provide guidance and process development support of projects in a multi-user facility navigating the complexities of novel process and material use across a broad tool set with a varied user base. In this role, you will navigate varied project goals, individuals and timelines, novel process development and risk mitigation across a shared tool use. You will provide advanced technical support for micro-fabrication scientific methodologies and processes, characterization, experimental development, data collection, and testing in the LLNL Center for Micro and Nanotechnology. You will interact with co-workers, supervisor, and technical personnel, both internal and external to the Laboratory. This position will report to the MNTS Group Leader and is within the Micro & Nano Technology Section (MNTS) in the Materials Engineering Division (MED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Work in Class 100 and Class 1000 Cleanrooms.
- Determine and implement complex process and quality control improvements for LLNL’s Center for Micro and Nano Technology (CMNT).
- Collaborate with researchers throughout LLNL to deliver timely solutions to microfabrication needs.
- Plan and execute experiments involving the fabrication and characterization of complex designed micro materials, devices and systems which may include semiconductors, microelectromechanical systems, photonics, quantum devices, bio-implantable devices, or other relevant technology.
- Work within a dynamic team contributing independently and applying comprehensive knowledge and skills to all aspects of device and system development.
- Document research and publish results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Develop standard operating process and control procedures, protocol support, instrumentation and equipment, and systems infrastructure.
- Lead baseline data generation and equipment process verification.
- Develop fabrication processes and characterization techniques within the cleanroom and dry lab areas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 level
- Lead teams consisting of technicians.
- Oversee process improvements and manage complex microfabrication capabilities.
- Provide insights to improvement methodology and tools and provide direction for Process Control Instrumentation Technicians.
- Regular decision making to establish or modify guidelines, techniques, and procedures, and to choose appropriate work methods and possibly set priorities.
- Prepare summary reports, report results, identify problems, and suggest solutions.
- Work with a team of engineers, scientists, and technicians to facilitate effective processing, set milestones, make decisions, and set directions.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Applied Science, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of concepts and proficient skills in microfabrication processes (such as lithography, sputtering, e-beam, thermal evaporation, wet and dry etching techniques, wire, and wafer bonding).
- Experience multi-tasking and collaborating on competing priorities, effectively executing in multiple roles.
- Experience in presentations of technical information at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Demonstrated proficient verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong initiative and interpersonal skills with ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Additional qualifications at SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience with complex microfabrication in one of more of the following areas: semiconductors, microelectromechanical systems, photonics, quantum devices, bio-implantable devices, or other relevant technology.
- Significant experience implementing and maintaining complex quality control processes for micro and/or nano technology, including researching and recommending purchase improvements.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Engineering, Applied Science, or related field.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.