Associate Principal Deputy Director - Active Clearance Required
Executive | livermore, CA | 02/02/2024
Job Code: 182.0 Senior Executive Management
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance) with Sensitive Compartmented Information access
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$349,050 - $459,156 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We are seeking an Associate Principal Deputy Director who will work closely with the Principal Deputy Director and Director’s Office (DO) staff on a variety of institutionally significant issues impacting the efficient and effective operation of the Laboratory. On behalf of the DO, this position will be responsible for actively leading, managing, and/or collaborating with numerous other senior Laboratory officials on a diverse range of institutionally significant issues across all parts of the Laboratory and the Department of Energy (DOE)/National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) enterprise. This collaboration will include representing the DO on multiple institutional committees and boards, especially in the areas of operations, requirements, effective execution of mission work, transformation, safety, security, and budget. This position is a direct report to the Principal Deputy Director and will serve as Principal Deputy Director in their absence.
- Represent the Principal Deputy Director across a broad range of institutional operational, management and oversight, personnel, business, environment, safety, and security issues; and provide advice and support including, but not be limited to, leading projects with Lab-wide impact. Responsible for planning, oversight, and budget execution of the DO Principal Directorate (PD) budget of approximately $350 million.
- Lead high level institutional committees, including the Principal Deputies Committee and the Operations Community of Practice, bringing issues to these groups for discussion, evaluation and recommendation development.
- Participate as a member of the Laboratory Business Council.
- Provide direction to technical leaders/managers across the institution to champion, lead, and achieve organization objectives and goals and meet Laboratory, DOE, and customer/sponsor requirements.
- Guide and provide strategic direction for the DO PD and the institution and participate in strategy development for the Laboratory for effective execution of mission work.
- Lead, manage, and/or collaborate with numerous other senior Laboratory officials in an effort to positively impact a broad range of institutionally significant personnel, operational, transformational, security, and or safety issues across all parts of the Laboratory and the DOE/NNSA enterprise.
- Represent the DO on multiple institutional oversight and action-oriented committees and boards both internally and externally.
- Oversee the implementation of the Policy Office and support the development of new and revised policies impacting Laboratory performance across all programs and disciplines. Collaborate and partner with senior managers in establishing institutional objectives and goals, and to influence policy.
- Responsible for operational management oversight for a large portion of LLNL’s functions which include Office of Laboratory Oversight, General Counsel, Staff Relations, Chief Information Officer (CIO), Prime Contract Management Office (PCMO), Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC Parent Oversight Office (LLNS), Business Continuity, Transformation Office and Counterintelligence Program along with championing the development of the Laboratory’s Enterprise Risk Management Program.
- Responsible for the oversight and approval of DO PD hiring, Information Technology (IT) acquisitions, space and facilities issues, security clearances, and to shepherd the Director’s Institutional Operations Excellence recognition and awards program.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access. Please note that your current active Q or Top-Secret clearance with DOE or another agency does not guarantee DOE SCI access approval; if you are denied access, you may be subject to reinvestigation of your existing Q or Top-Secret clearance.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, physical science, or a closely related field, or an equivalent level of education, related experience, and demonstrated advanced knowledge of LLNL operations.
- Extensive experience establishing objectives and long-term goals with an operational focus towards meeting mission strategies in areas such as Integrated Safety Management System (ISMS), contract governance, and work planning & control.
- In depth knowledge of mission area(s), and experience contributing to effective outcomes and mission successes.
- Exceptional leadership skills, and experience in setting direction, establishing priorities, managing multi-million-dollar budgets and personnel, and developing policies for major functional areas.
- Extensive experience and comprehensive knowledge of managerial and financial practices with the ability to effectively balance complex technical and budgetary priorities to achieve desired results. Direct experience effectively responding to high profile safety and/or security events,
- Extensive experience interacting with and negotiating on matters of significance to the organization. Expert leadership and management skills to champion innovative directions and influence the development of institutional goals and objectives.
- Extensive experience directing other technical leaders/managers to champion, lead, and achieve/bring to completion organization objectives and goals that meet customer/sponsor requirements.
- Expert communication skills, both written and verbal, necessary to effectively explain, present, negotiate, advise, and influence all levels of management, especially executive leadership.
- Demonstrated advanced level technical and organizational problem-solving, decision-making, and leadership skills, and judgment necessary to independently advise, counsel, recommend, and develop solutions on a wide variety of management level technical and programmatic issues.
Qualifications we desire
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of NNSA laboratory operations and/or LLNL operations.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access. Please note that your current active Q or Top Secret clearance with DOE or another agency does not guarantee DOE SCI access approval; if you are denied access, you may be subject to reinvestigation of your existing Q or Top Secret Clearance.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now