Accounting Assistant, Expeditor/Accounts Payable and Travel
Finance & Accounting | livermore, CA | 01/23/2024
Job Code: 451.4 Pr. Accounting Assistant
Organization: Chief Financial Officer
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$35.98 - $43.67 Hourly (451.4)
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for an Accounting Assistant to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. Under minimal supervision you will perform advanced and complex accounting and travel accounting tasks, solve problems of a broad scope and complexity, and develop and implement new techniques and procedures. This position is in the Disbursement Accounting & Services/Accounts Payable & Travel Division of the Office of the Chief Financial Officer (OCFO) Organization.
In this role you will:
- Perform advanced accounts payable vendor invoice processing through the Oracle Payable system. Interpret and apply exceptional and complex procedures within the Accounts Payable system and provide guidance regarding travel and payables, accounting policies and procedures and problem resolution assistance to LLNL organizations.
- Independently research and reconcile payment issues with contract balances and review and process credit memos, de-obligating liens, cancel checks and invoices and work reports to ensure timely payment and processing of wire requests.
- Scan and index documents using AnyDoc for all vendor invoices and records retention and research rejected Automated Clearing House (ACH) bank payments and resolutions.
- Independently respond to Accounts Payable and Travel Accounting Customer Service calls and assist Resource Analysts and other LLNL customers in resolving vendor and travel payment inquiries.
- Approve and reconcile reimbursements in the ePay Travel Reimbursement system, within LLNL Travel Policy and approve third party payment requests for training and conferences.
- Reconcile Travel and Accounts Payable balance sheet accounts for management approval, including preparation of journal vouchers and project cost transfers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in a financial or business-related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting theory, policies, procedures, and regulations, as well as knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Experience using Oracle or other financial applications and intermediate knowledge and experience with computer-based spreadsheets, report generated applications and communication tools (e.g., Microsoft Suite, Outlook, ServiceNow).
- Advanced organizational skills to handle multiple tasks simultaneously with frequent interruptions, while providing a high level of customer service and demonstrated advanced problem solving and decision-making skills necessary to independently solve problems of broad scope and complexity.
- Experience reconciling balance sheet accounts, preparing complex journal entries and financial reports.
- Experience interpreting and applying financial policy and procedures, including State and Federal policies, procedures and regulations and experience in applying and ensuring internal controls are followed.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to perform as a team member while maintaining a heavy workload.
- Demonstrated ability to meet critical deadlines and work effectively under time constraints.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills necessary to work with all levels of personnel, both internal and external to the Laboratory including experience providing a high level of customer service while maintaining effective working relationships with clients, co-workers, external vendors, and Laboratory service units.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now