Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division Graduate Student â Summer Internship 2024
Students | livermore, CA | 01/16/2024
Job Code: 705.2 Grad Student R&D/Technical / 712.0 Intern Exempt
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$6,200/mo to $7,520
This position is a step structure. Please note that the step placement is determined by academic level. If selected transcripts will be required.
We have multiple openings for graduate level students and for students who have received a bachelor’s or master’s degree to engage in practical research to further their educational goals. These are training opportunities to gain experience. You will provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of Chemical and Isotopic Signatures, Computational Nuclear Physics; Experimental Nuclear, Stockpile and Environmental Radiochemistry; Experimental Nuclear Physics; Forensic Science & Assessments; Particle Physics; Nuclear Security Physics; Nuclear Theory and Modeling; Rare Event Detection; and Safeguards, Non-Proliferation, and Response. These positions are in the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
- Work with engineers, scientists, and technical staff members to provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of computational chemistry and physics, radiochemistry, nuclear and particle physics, nuclear theory and modeling, nuclear forensics, or other related fields.
- Conduct research in assigned area under limited direction and supervision.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of scientific research.
- Present/communicate results to research group.
- Perform technical assignments of an advanced degree of complexity and provide advanced technical support to scientist in scientific research and development projects.
- Attend relevant seminars.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or completed their bachelor’s or master’s degree in physics, material sciences, computer science or a related field.
- Experience applying advanced engineering or scientific principles to solve technical problems.
- Academic achievement in a scientific or engineering curriculum.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to conduct research and present and communicate concepts and ideas including research project(s), document work and give a technical talk/presentation.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Holiday Pay
- Sick leave accrual
- Individual 401(k) contributions
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.