Synthetic Biology/Microbial Genetics/Biochemistry - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 01/16/2024
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None/Position does not require US citizenship (assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
NOTE: This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years.
Job scope description:
We are seeking a dedicated and hardworking Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in the fields of synthetic biology, microbial genetics, and biochemistry to study bacterial protein compartmentalization systems. You will actively participate in research: (1) to probe the mechanistic basis for how these compartments are regulated, biosynthesized, and maintained, and (2) to engineer these systems in their native organisms to achieve new biosynthetic functions. This position is in the Systems and Synthetic biology group in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct fundamental research in synthetic biology, microbial genetics, and biochemistry to examine the bacterial encapsulin nanocompartment system from Rhodococcus species.
- Employ cutting edge synthetic biology and protein engineering approaches to engineer encapsulin cages to support the biosynthesis of DOE relevant biomaterials.
- Employ biochemical and genetic methods to probe mechanisms of encapsulin homeostasis.
- Develop research plans, generate results, and publish peer-reviewed papers.
- Regularly interact with a broad spectrum of computational and experimental scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meeting.
- Work with other scientists to write proposals and expand our program into new areas aligned with your expertise and interests.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ph.D. in Bio/chemical engineering, Microbiology, Biochemistry, or a relevant field with a strong emphasis in microbial genetics and biochemistry.
- Expertise in synthetic biology, genetics, protein engineering, and/or biochemistry.
- Experience and knowledge microbial physiology, genetic manipulation, and/or characterization.
- Experience in designing and constructing recombinant gene pathways in model bacteria (preferable non-E. coli).
- Experience and knowledge in protein biochemistry, engineering, and/or characterization.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience with genetic manipulation, transposon mutagenesis, and/or omics in Rhodococcus species.
- Experience with biomineralization of inorganic nanoparticles.
- Experience with TEM, DLS, and/or XRD.
- Experience with high throughput protein engineering techniques, including generation of variant libraries and selection strategies (e.g., via FACS).
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2024 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.